Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought two keyless entry remotes for my 2002 Tundra off eBay and they came with the programming code, but it's not working. The remotes I purchased are different looking than the original that came with the truck, but I was told both models of remotes should work. Any suggestions on how to program these new remotes without paying $40+ to have the dealership do it? Thanks! --Nate

Original Remote FCC: BAB237131-022
New Remote FCC: BAB237131-056

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
You got email.

BTW, you might want to delete your email address posted above. Spammers can get ahold of it if you post it in public.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks cam....those programming instructions are exactly what I needed, but now my only problem is finding the RS 3000 ECU!!! I took off the panels around the steering wheel and everything and can't find the beast! Any suggestions to pinpoint where that might be? Thanks! --Nate

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ALSO....if you have any information on this, it would be MUCHHHH appreciated. I heard the Tundra comes stock with the alarm system where when the vehicle is touched or messed with the alarm sounds, but all you hafta do is install the security light and turn up the intensity or something? Is that right? and if so, any info on that? thanks again. --nate

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I'm trying to download the pdf on the location of the ECA, but it freezes halfway(damn 56K)

Have you ever heard of a website called www.tundrasolutions.com ?

I'd rec. you at least register over there(free)

If possible you should get the paid subscription, there's so much info available.

After registering there, check out this thread, and do a search for others.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19970&highlight=rs3200
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170137#post170137

There's a ton of info on this stuff over there.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
By the way the RS3000 ECU is located behind the glovebox, you need to squeeze the two tabs inward to allow the glovebox to open, once you have that open, remove the three screws to remove the panel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Behind glove box?

Richard....I got behind the glove box, and all I could find was the passenger air bag unit. is it suppose to be on the left or right of that??? I could figure it all out if I could somehow have a picture of its exact location on a '02 Tundra. Thanks! --Nate

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Oops, I gave you the info for a newer model Tundra I believe.

It should be against the fire wall to the right side of the steering column.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
programming remote

Hey Darryl. Yeah I figured it all out....it's dang easy to do and a good way to save $50+ for someone else to program. If the FCC # on the back of the remote is BAB237131-022 it will work. Most of the remotes on eBay say the BAB237131-056 remote will work with the '02 Tundra and it won't. If you need help locating your ECU and how to program a remote just ask me and I can walk you through it...it's the easiest thing! --Nate

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
garzee13 said:
Hey Darryl. Yeah I figured it all out....it's dang easy to do and a good way to save $50+ for someone else to program. If the FCC # on the back of the remote is BAB237131-022 it will work. Most of the remotes on eBay say the BAB237131-056 remote will work with the '02 Tundra and it won't. If you need help locating your ECU and how to program a remote just ask me and I can walk you through it...it's the easiest thing! --Nate

For future references for other's, was the ECU location against the fire wall to the right side of the steering column? Could you post a simplified how-to on what to do to program the remotes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Prob Robert--

Programming a remote for the 2002 Tundra (SR5 Access Cab) RS3000 System...

1. Locate the ECU next to steering column and above the air duct for the feet. ECU is NOT attached to firewall. It's a grey box about 4" by 4" by 1.5". It has a little green button on the side which is the reset button.

2. Turn key to 'ON' position.

3. Press green reset button on ECU for 3 seconds.

4. Within 5 seconds after releasing reset button on ECU, press and release the button on your remote you want programmed. System should 'chirp' if programmed correctly.

5. Turn key to 'LOCK' position and programming is finished.

To disable the passive arming (so it doesn't set alarm automatically):

1. Turn key to 'ON'.

2. Press and hold both remote buttons for 2+ seconds.

3. Press and release the top remote button twice.

4. Turn key to 'LOCK'.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Tundra
64 Posts
Hey garzee13;

My remote has the number
BAB 237131-056
Canada 2024 102 1519

I guess I bought the wrong one.
BTW where is the ECU located anyway?

Thanks

garzee13 said:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ecu....

robert...

the ecu for the alarm system is attached to the steering column tucked up underneath the dash. you hafta stick your head far back up against the firewall pushing back the brake pedal to see it...I still have neck problems to this day. haha. its a little gray box about the size of a cigarette carton. theres a little green button on the side facing down. its above the heater duct under the dash. hope that helps a tad. good luck! --Nate

·
Registered
5 Posts
damn, i just read the first post... the FCC ID:BAB237131-056 CANADA:2024 192 1519 DON`T Work whit the Toyota Tundra 02 RS300.

To Reach the ECU you have to remove the lower panel and then remove one bold on the unit it selft. hope this help

·
Registered
2002 Tundra
4 Posts
Yeah!

It worked! Thanks to everyone on this thread for the information. The copy-pasted procedure was ESPECIALLY helpful!

After not finding it per words in this thread I resorted to disassembly. First the cover under the steering column (4 bolts IIRC). Still couldn't see it so I removed the ductwork (no bolts just slide and pull). Finally found it but not the little green button. So I removed the bolt holding it. Once dropped down I finally saw the button.

Thanks again!!!

·
Old Toyo Guy
2 Posts
02 Tundra key fob Help

I have an 02 Tundra that doesn't have an RS3000 security system. Can't find instructions on how to reprogram fob. Upper switch is bad so I'm trying to use bottom one. The press the green button on ECU for 3 seconds and fob within 5 seconds. doesn't work. Went to Toyota dealer for new fob and they said one with FCC code ending in 056 is what is shown to replace my old one that has an fcc code ending in 022. There must be 2 security systems for these 02 Tundras. Any help in sorting this mess out would be greatly appreciated!
My Truck does not have the security light on panel to left of steering column just to right of dash lite dimmer switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts