Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! I have a 2002 prius that is dead after sitting for 4 months. We replaced the aux battery 22 months ago. Car sat for 4 months. Took it to the dealer and 1st they replaced the aux battery. Draws the charge off to 0 overnight. Now after saying it might be the alternator? they now tell me it is the hybrid battery drawing down the charge on the aux Battery. I thought they were independent of each other. One to start the vehicle and the hybrid to run the vehicle. They want $2899. to replace the hybrid battery in addition to $390. for the aux battery they replaced. My prius only has a blue book value of $2500. can't see spending more than it is worth to fix it. Can the hybrid battery be recharged? Any help or suggestions? Thanks :help:

·
Premium Member
06 HiHy,10 Prius
510 Posts
Man, that is a good one! Yeah, that 240V battery is just sucking the life right out of that 12V battery!

The 12V battery (or system) operates big relays that bring the HV battery on line when the ignition is turned on. The HV battery supplies power to the inverter/converter, which in turn recharges the 12V battery. When the ignition is turned off, the HV battery is isolated and cannot possibly pull power out of the 12V battery.

HOWEVER! If the inverter has a problem (that I have never heard of) it is conceivable that it could deplete the 12V battery. The cost for the inverter is comparable to the HV battery, so it is possible that someone has mixed up the two and that that is where the problem lies.

I would recommend a 2nd opinion from a different dealer, if possible. The likelihood of finding and independent with sufficient HV training and tooling is pretty sim!

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts