Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Powered by country
1991 SR5 x-cab 4wd
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had this problem for a while now and finally am able to make time to work on it. When I apply brakes at any speed over probably 40, the front end shakes pretty bad. Going down hill is much worse than braking on flat land. I mean it SHAKES braking downhill. Where do I start to work on this? I have enough experience working on Toyota trucks in my opinion to do all or at least most of the work myself, as in rotors, pads, pins, tie rod ends, etc. I do not get into serious engine work, but can do the simple stuff.

MANY thanks to anyone with helpful advice on this.
Chuck

To begin, what is the BEST name brand of rotors, pads, and any other brake related parts to work with for a 2002 Tundra deluxe 4x4 with a 4.7L? I hardly use this truck at all really, but when I do, I need it to run 100%..
I'm willing to pay for top notch stuff for this truck, as it only has a little over 100k on it, and is babied as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
It could be an issue with the brakes, but it could also be a problem with the suspension or wheel bearings
There was a recall to upgrade the brakes on '00-'03 models, I would imagine that has already been done, but with your issue, I would have a reputable shop go through the front end and make sure everything is safe and solid. There was also a recall on the ball joints.

When everything is right, there is nothing wrong with OEM parts.

·
Powered by country
1991 SR5 x-cab 4wd
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Thanks Cb!

Thanks a big bunch Cb! I never knew about, nor even thought of looking for, any recall issues with this model. Figures, with a first gen of anything really, there would be concerns, regardless of manufacturer.

I'll look up recall info tomorrow.

Thanks a heckuvaLOT again!
Chuck:surprise::wink::smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like the truck sits idle a lot,outside? rotors are going to rust just sitting there. you can machine them today and be back to 100%. leave the truck sit for a month and be back to where you started

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I've had this problem for a while now and finally am able to make time to work on it. When I apply brakes at any speed over probably 40, the front end shakes pretty bad. Going down hill is much worse than braking on flat land. I mean it SHAKES braking downhill. Where do I start to work on this? I have enough experience working on Toyota trucks in my opinion to do all or at least most of the work myself, as in rotors, pads, pins, tie rod ends, etc. I do not get into serious engine work, but can do the simple stuff.

MANY thanks to anyone with helpful advice on this.
Chuck

To begin, what is the BEST name brand of rotors, pads, and any other brake related parts to work with for a 2002 Tundra deluxe 4x4 with a 4.7L? I hardly use this truck at all really, but when I do, I need it to run 100%..
I'm willing to pay for top notch stuff for this truck, as it only has a little over 100k on it, and is babied as much as possible.
I had the same problem with my 06 Tundra, new rotors fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts