Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out my rear driver side strut is leaking and wanted to replace the rears. Don't want to spend the money for Toyota brand and was hoping to get recommendation for aftermarket replacement. Should I go ahead and replace fronts also? Car feels funny ( not planted ) over 60 MPH I can also hear play in sway bars front and rear going over bumps at slow speed. Car has 250K but does not burn a drop of oil and hope to get another year or two out of it. Thanks

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,763 Posts
I found out my rear driver side strut is leaking and wanted to replace the rears. Don't want to spend the money for Toyota brand and was hoping to get recommendation for aftermarket replacement. Should I go ahead and replace fronts also? Car feels funny ( not planted ) over 60 MPH I can also hear play in sway bars front and rear going over bumps at slow speed. Car has 250K but does not burn a drop of oil and hope to get another year or two out of it. Thanks
Theres alot of struts out there to fit both budgets and performance preferences. I just put KYB's on my 93' MR2 and am very happy with them. I did the brakes while I was in there since on the MR2 they need to be moved anyway. Monroe Matics are popular too as well as the Gabriels. If you can afford to do all at once that'd be great, but if not that's fine too. I did exactly that, rears first and then the fronts a couple months later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have used KYB struts, not on a Toyota, but a Jag, and was very pleased with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree on those brands being good but in my reading a lot of people complained about the ride after install. I guess I'm hoping to get as close to a stock feel as possible ….maybe a touch more firmness....but not much. I've read reviews all the way from floating boat feel to feel every rock.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,763 Posts
Gabriel was a the supplier to Toyota, they just wore a Toyota label if you want an OEM ride

·
イリジウム
12,043 Posts
If you like a firmer ride, yeah KYB Strut Plus complete assemblies ($116 each). I think they're too harsh, I don't need to feel the road cracks and lane markers. I personally prefer Monroe QuickStruts, $80 each plus shipping on rockauto. Search up a 5% discount code.

Monroe warranties against normal wear, KYB doesn't. Next month they should be offering buy-4-get $100 back. Look for that promotion. You'll need an alignment too doing the fronts. The rears don't really affect it, but it should be checked just in case.

I wonder if the lower control arm bushings are worn too. If so, change out complete arm like Moog, $52 each on rockauto. For lower ball joint, I recommend only Toyota OEM from online dealers.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,763 Posts
If you like a firmer ride, yeah KYB Strut Plus complete assemblies ($116 each). I think they're too harsh, I don't need to feel the road cracks and lane markers. I personally prefer Monroe QuickStruts, $80 each plus shipping on rockauto. Search up a 5% discount code.

Monroe warranties against normal wear, KYB doesn't. Next month they should be offering buy-4-get $100 back. Look for that promotion. You'll need an alignment too doing the fronts. The rears don't really affect it, but it should be checked just in case.

I wonder if the lower control arm bushings are worn too. If so, change out complete arm like Moog, $52 each on rockauto. For lower ball joint, I recommend only Toyota OEM from online dealers.
I think the Monroes would be a good choice!

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
602 Posts
Buy the whole strut and spring assembly, much easier to do the work.

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
19 Posts
I put KYB GR-2s on my 2005 a few weeks ago. I wanted a firmer ride (they were installed at the same time as Eibach Pro-Kits) but I understand they are more-or-less OEM replacements in terms of stiffness, and while ride motions are nicely snubbed up now, the damping is far from what I'd call aggressive or harsh. I'm guessing the KYBs alone will give you the feel of a stock SE--so if this is an LE or XLE you're wanting to keep the stock ride of, they may be just a bit stiffer.

·
Regular TN User
276 Posts
Gabriel was a the supplier to Toyota, they just wore a Toyota label if you want an OEM ride
OEM is KYB on the 2002 V6.

I went aftermarket but after a couple of years got tired of feeling my teeth chatter over bumps, so bit the bullet and swapped all 4 for new OEM. Both aftermarket and OEM look identical on the outside but the valving is significantly different. OEM also feels a little higher quality; aftermarket is a "one size fits all" for lots of different vehicles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts