Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello i've been reading much on this topic lately and I really have not come up with a good conclusion yet, so maybe someone can help.
I just bought a 03 cam, 2.4cyl automatic that has 74K miles on it. I needed it for gas mileage and the price was right, I only paid 5k for it. Anyways, i've been reading about this "engine failure" topic many different places and I cant decide whats fact or fiction. i searched here somewhat and really didnt find anything that leads to engine failure except for the head gaskets blowing and that may cause it. I have also read that its VERY expensive to replace the 2av-fe motor in these cars. I'm not trying to spend the same amount on an engine as i did for a car. If i need to get rid of this thing i will, but if there has been no real case of engine meltdown on these then i'll keep it. btw most engine cases that i've read have had most of their trouble in the range of 70 to 90K miles. thanks for all and any help guys. If anyone has any thing else they know of that I need to watch out for with this motor please let me know. thanks again.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,715 Posts
As far as I know, the 2.4L engine is one of the best engines for reliability. If I remember right (not 100% sure- so someone correct me if I'm wrong) the 2.4L is based on the old 2.2L that Toyota used in the Camry from 1992-2001.

Those engines are known for lasting hundreds of thousands of miles without serious issues. Now, with any engine, it's only as reliable as the owner allows it to be. It must be maintained regularly.

The only issue that I know from the 2.2L is that if you didn't change the oil for a very long time, it's been known to cause oil sludge. Change your oil every 5000 or less, and you'll be fine.

$5000 for a 2003 seems extremely cheap- did you have it inspected by a mechanic? Why did someone sell it so cheap?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well she felt bad for me that I wrecked my jeep. Oh btw that person is my mom lol so no worries. She was the only owner. I forgot to mention that blue book on that thing is arond ten. shhhhh keep that quiet. But hey, thanks tho. Wonder what all the other crap I read was about. Maybe lies, or maybe ppl are just stupid and think its toyota's fault that they didnt have or change their oil, which caused the engine to melt down. I love when something is someone own personal fault, but in turn they blame the manufactuer.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2008 Camry LE
3,156 Posts
as long as that engine was well maintained. Its as solid as a rock. No timing belt, it has a chain. Plugs and coolant are good for 100K. You may hear a slight valve chatter, or a clicking noise, but its a normal trait of the 2AZ

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
2AZ-FE's are great motors. That's why I purchased mine.

The only real common problem is the water pump leaking, which has happened to mine. They're easy to replace.

I've seen where some of the earlier engines have head bolts that strip out of the engine block. It's not a common problem and if yours isn't leaking, I wouldn't sweat it at all.

As stated above, proper maintenance is the key. If you take care of it properly you likely won't have any problems with it.

Enjoy your car. You sure did get a sweet deal.

·
Taco Tuesday!
1,604 Posts
The only real common problem is the water pump leaking, which has happened to mine. They're easy to replace.

I've seen where some of the earlier engines have head bolts that strip out of the engine block. It's not a common problem and if yours isn't leaking, I wouldn't sweat it at all.

As stated above, proper maintenance is the key. If you take care of it properly you likely won't have any problems with it.
^couldn't have said it any better myself. in fact, i wonder if the water-pump issue is due to coolant/antifreeze not being flushed and changed as per schedule.

still no water pump leak (or any leak for that matter) on my '03 2az-fe auto. in fact, only non-expected issue is my cv-boot- relatively minor imo.

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
^couldn't have said it any better myself. in fact, i wonder if the water-pump issue is due to coolant/antifreeze not being flushed and changed as per schedule.

still no water pump leak (or any leak for that matter) on my '03 2az-fe auto. in fact, only non-expected issue is my cv-boot- relatively minor imo.
I doubt that it's a coolant change interval issue. Mine was leaking when my car had low mileage and was only 1 1/2 years old.

The waterpump is a hit or miss thing. Some have replaced their's more than once and others have never had a problem.

I forgot to add that the serpentine belt tensioner is more failure prone than most other things also. Just like the waterpump, it's not a big deal though.

Just because these things are more common, doesn't mean that they're really a problem, or are really that common. After all, the 2AZ-FE has so FEW problems that anything sticks out.

·
Taco Tuesday!
1,604 Posts
I doubt that it's a coolant change interval issue. Mine was leaking when my car had low mileage and was only 1 1/2 years old.

The waterpump is a hit or miss thing. Some have replaced their's more than once and others have never had a problem.

I forgot to add that the serpentine belt tensioner is more failure prone than most other things also. Just like the waterpump, it's not a big deal though.

Just because these things are more common, doesn't mean that they're really a problem, or are really that common. After all, the 2AZ-FE has so FEW problems that anything sticks out.
that's true. in fact, if you nit-pick at these problems, you can make a case on how these problems aren't engine-related. the tensioner and waterpump are definitely bolt-on parts. :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Engine Failure: 04 CAmry 4 CY More Info Needed

I read the attach ad today:

"I am selling our 2004 Toyota Camry SE. The car is in great shape, has had only one owner, and was just cleaned and is ready to go. It's the 4-cylinder so it get excellent gas mileage.

In 2007 the entire engine was replaced due to a faulty engine block and replaced with a BRAND NEW Toyota factory engine. This new engine has less then 21,000 miles on it, it was installed at a Toyota dealership, and all paperwork is available. It has ran perfect since and we're only selling because I got a company car and no longer need it. "

I"D LIKE TO KNOW------------
Aside from OPINIONS, where have your heard of engine problems on the 4 cy 2004? I am looking at a purchase as they are cheap right now.

WW

·
Registered
212 Posts
WellWell: If it was replaced at the dealer, make sure to check the maintence logs and make sure it gets proper oil changes. That engine is pretty good AFAIK.

As far as my car I have an 06 and it came with 109k miles back in June. I can just tell it was well maintaned because of the smoothness of the car. I'm expecting 300k miles or maybe more.

·
"Everyone Lies"
camry 5gen
2,033 Posts
i own an 03 i4
she has 80K.
strong as a horse.

i get great mileage.
i made it from LA to San Fransisco on one tank =]

·
Registered
04 Camry
155 Posts
Do a search in this forum under 'head bolts', read all the threads; lots of good info including a cost effective repairs to the head bolt issue. I researched this issue a bit, and other than what is mentionned here, there is no evidence of wide-spread issues with this engine. All consumer magazines/sites I've read give a big thumbs up to the I4 2.4 Camry.
Also, I have noticed Camry Le models as taxis here in Ottawa, also while visiting San Francisco last spring. A good sign, taxi companies, drivers don't buy unreliable or problematic vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello i've been reading much on this topic lately and I really have not come up with a good conclusion yet, so maybe someone can help.
I just bought a 03 cam, 2.4cyl automatic that has 74K miles on it. I needed it for gas mileage and the price was right, I only paid 5k for it. Anyways, i've been reading about this "engine failure" topic many different places and I cant decide whats fact or fiction. i searched here somewhat and really didnt find anything that leads to engine failure except for the head gaskets blowing and that may cause it. I have also read that its VERY expensive to replace the 2av-fe motor in these cars. I'm not trying to spend the same amount on an engine as i did for a car. If i need to get rid of this thing i will, but if there has been no real case of engine meltdown on these then i'll keep it. btw most engine cases that i've read have had most of their trouble in the range of 70 to 90K miles. thanks for all and any help guys. If anyone has any thing else they know of that I need to watch out for with this motor please let me know. thanks again.
I have the same year and the same engine and it has 248,550 miles on it and it is going strong, running like a sewing machine.
I have the exact same year, make and model with 248,550 miles on it and it is running like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Toyota's in general are solid as anvils, some newer models have a few gremlins but nothing I have read anywhere says defective. 2003 Camry XLE V6 290 0000 miles and runs great, all original but belts hoses and radiator and wear things like brakes and tires. Everything works 100%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife & I traded in a 2009 Camry a few days ago. Had over 211,000 miles on it. Was a great car in every way, held up pretty well...except for one issue. Oil consumption. Seems that the 2007-2009 years were bad for using oil. We had bought our car from a used car lot, so we never got a recall notice. Although interestingly enough, the first year we had the car, Toyota sent us a letter in the mail offering some kind of extended warranty if we were to pay X amount of dollars for it. I have to wonder if they knew something. We had the car about 3 years when it started using oil.

Overall we loved the car. So we took the easy way out. Traded it in for a 2017 Camry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts