Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have an 03 Camry 2.4 XLE that making a strange engine noise. At idle speed it almost sounds like a diesel engine clacking away. On cursory inspection it sounds like its coming from the intake manifold area. The noise in not effecting performance as the car has lots of power and the engine is not running rough or missing. Anybody have any suggestions what this noise could be? Thanks and seasons greetings!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a known issue with a plastic baffle or residual plastic rattling in certain intake manifolds and making noise. Does it sound like this?

Some enterprising folks have run screws into the intake manifold to stop the noise, but the possibility of plastic shavings or screws breaking off has been enough to deter me, and the sound hasn't gotten too bad on mine... Yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a known issue with a plastic baffle or residual plastic rattling in certain intake manifolds and making noise. Does it sound like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmuLJrtDVU

Some enterprising folks have run screws into the intake manifold to stop the noise, but the possibility of plastic shavings or screws breaking off has been enough to deter me, and the sound hasn't gotten too bad on mine... Yet.
Yes that's what it sounds like. Do you know where I can find more information on the specific problem and options or directions on how to fix it? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked back at some info I saved when investigating this before. A replacement manifold is about $150 new (Dorman - I checked Rock Auto,) while you can get a used one for a fraction of the price on eBay or a junkyard pull. But, what if that one has issues too? it comes down to what your time is worth, IMO.

The OEM part appears to be about $320 for comparison.

The following discussion indicates it's not too bad of a swap out, but I haven't broken down and done it yet.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-trucks/how-fix-air-intake-manifold-causing-rattle-noise-while-accelating-76374.html

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked back at some info I saved when investigating this before. A replacement manifold is about $150 new (Dorman - I checked Rock Auto,) while you can get a used one for a fraction of the price on eBay or a junkyard pull. But, what if that one has issues too? it comes down to what your time is worth, IMO.

The OEM part appears to be about $320 for comparison.

The following discussion indicates it's not too bad of a swap out, but I haven't broken down and done it yet.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-trucks/how-fix-air-intake-manifold-causing-rattle-noise-while-accelating-76374.html

I hope this helps!
Yes thank you very much! I will try the cleaning trick first to confirm that that's the real problem. If I need to I might try putting the screws into the manifold as a last resort if I can locate directions on how to do it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi folks, I have an 03 Camry 2.4 XLE that making a strange engine noise. At idle speed it almost sounds like a diesel engine clacking away. On cursory inspection it sounds like its coming from the intake manifold area. The noise in not effecting performance as the car has lots of power and the engine is not running rough or missing. Anybody have any suggestions what this noise could be? Thanks and seasons greetings!
I had this exact same issue with my 2003 2.4 Camry a couple years back but the noise eventually went away. The noise didn't affect the car performance wise. Here is a video I took of the engine back then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this exact same issue with my 2003 2.4 Camry a couple years back but the noise eventually went away. The noise didn't affect the car performance wise. Here is a video I took of the engine back then.

That's exactly what mine sounds like. Hopefully it will fix itself. I'll drive it for a week or two and see if the noise goes away before I try to repair it.

Thanks!

·
Senior Citizen Member
206 Posts
I replaced the intake manifold on my 03 not long ago and it was not a hard job. I spent about 3 hours on it. I bought a new after market one off ebay for about $150.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the intake manifold on my 03 not long ago and it was not a hard job. I spent about 3 hours on it. I bought a new after market one off ebay for about $150.
Were you able to figure out what it is that causes the intake manifold to make that noise? I always figured the intake manifold had no moving parts but I suppose I figured wrong. Thanks

·
Senior Citizen Member
206 Posts
Were you able to figure out what it is that causes the intake manifold to make that noise? I always figured the intake manifold had no moving parts but I suppose I figured wrong. Thanks
I just threw the old manifold in the trash. It is my understanding from what I have read is that the problem is something breaking loose inside the manifold. It does not have any moving parts until it breaks. It was only a problem on 2002 and 2003's and early 2004's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2003 Camry I4, 121k miles, Experiencing the exact intake noise problem like that shown in the last 2 videos. Been researching, and on the site that's linked earlier in the post, the Corolla owners are able to zap some screws through the manifold w/o removal and cure the noise completely that way.
heres a few pics of what they did on corolla:
http://gorup-sinkovec.net/wp-content/incoming/2010/10/286zvw6.jpg

http://gorup-sinkovec.net/wp-content/incoming/2010/10/25sv0w8.jpg

http://gorup-sinkovec.net/wp-content/incoming/2010/10/2qk6zy1.jpg

http://gorup-sinkovec.net/wp-content/incoming/2010/10/33p3s3n.jpg

PICS ABOVE originated from this post here

Granted, this is Easier to do on the Corolla b/c the intakes between the bumper and engine, whereas Camry's is between firewall and engine.

I sure would like to do this screw method w/o having to remove the intatke. Has anyone tried this screw in method, or does anyone know of a link that shows some info on how to do w/o removing intake on Camry?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just threw the old manifold in the trash. It is my understanding from what I have read is that the problem is something breaking loose inside the manifold. It does not have any moving parts until it breaks. It was only a problem on 2002 and 2003's and early 2004's.
I'm reading that, even with the new & updated PN part, some owners are seeing the problem reoccur again after as little as 30k miles after the brand new manifold's been installed .

Nobody's heard about this problem?

·
Camry_owner
2003 Camry LE 2.4L
117 Posts
Yes thank you very much! I will try the cleaning trick first to confirm that that's the real problem. If I need to I might try putting the screws into the manifold as a last resort if I can locate directions on how to do it.

were you able to fix your intake noise problem? Can you please share how you fixed it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i had the same problem, so i bought the dorman replacement intake manifold for it. it solved the rattling issue. i suggest you do the same, easy to replace and fair price $222 . ps i got a used one off of amazon for a very steep discount. i replaced mine about a month ago. there are 5 nuts at the top and 2 bolts at the bottom. remove them and disconnect the hoses and slide the manifold out.

·
Registered
1994 Camry V6 XLE-J
5,746 Posts
my 2nd 06 has the intake rattle too. my 1st 06 didn't. i just got used to it since i know it doesn't hurt anything.
tony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts