Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2003 Camry, 2.4L engine. The other day It started normally in the driveway for about 2 seconds, then shut off abruptly. It would not start again. ECU is throwing P0340 Camshaft position sensor code.

I replaced the sensor, inspected the wiring which looked fine (I have not metered between plug and ECU yet) and checked for spark...NO Spark. I don't see any shrader valve on the fuel rail to press and see if there is fuel present...just see a regulator. I can feel the fuel pump running (touching the cover on tank) when engine is turning over.

The sensor I removed metered out to about 1100 ohms...the same as the new one.

Anybody ever had any trouble like this?

I searched this part of the forum but I cant find any relevant threads .

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If you can see RPMs on your scan tool when cranking then assume crank sig to ECM good.
The cam sig should read 2-5v ac when cranking/running.
Crank sig about the same.
This is back probing the two connector pins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will look at that.

I do have a scan tool, but I don"t know if I can see RPM on it. I will back probe the connectors.

Is fuel pump supposed too run at all with key "ON"??? I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks to me that pump only is on when cranking and engine running of course. I hear people say it should start running for 3-4 seconds as soon as you turn the key to the on position. Is that so??

My pump only runs while cranking.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Believe pump runs a few seconds with key on then shuts off if no cam/crank sig to ECM when cranking.
Scan tool normally have RPM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok for the fix. Scan tool showed no RPM when cranking. Metered out the Crank position sensor....17ohms, should be around 1100 ohms. Replaced crank position sensor and everything is now good.

The camshaft position sensor and crank position sensor share a common pin on the ECU so that's why it can throw the wrong code???

Good source for wiring diagram and service manual is:

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Thanks for wrap up.
Don't have an answer for you other than have seen crank sensor in the suspect list for P0340.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts