Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had lot of problems on my Camry especially with my steering. First 19K miles Rack and Pinion Assy was changed, at 31K steering shaft was changed and now at 61K Rack & Pinion Assy and power steering pump changed. Thankfully I have $0 deductible extended warranty. But WTF. The car is driven by my wife and she is an easy driver. Car is always well maintained and roads around here are great.

Anybody else has problems with their steering. It always starts with a popping sound when you turn the steering and you can feel the popping as well.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
This is a common problem on the Gen 5's. There are a few TSB's

STEERING
ST001-06
Title:
STEERING INTERMEDIATE
SHAFT NOISE
Models:
'03 - '06 Camry, '04 - '05 Highlander, & '04 - '06 Solara,
February 16, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE :
^July 20, 2006: 2004 - 2005 model year Highlander vehicles have been added to Applicable Vehicles. Production change effective VINs for the Highlander have been added to the Production Change Information table. The Parts Information has been updated to include the Highlander.
Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.
Introduction

Some customers may hear a clunk, pop, or knock type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this concern.
Applicable Vehicles
^2003 - 2006 model year Camry vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.
^2004 - 2005 model year Highlander vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.
^2004 - 2006 model year Solara vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

Warranty Information
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
*Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Production Change Information

Parts Information
Repair Procedure
Prior to removing the steering intermediate shaft, make sure the steering wheel and front wheels remain stationary. Once the intermediate shaft is removed, do NOT allow the steering wheel to spin freely.
NOTE :Ensure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is centered before removing the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly by installing a steering wheel holder.

1.Disconnect the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.
A.Loosen the bolt and remove the clamp from the steering column hole cover boot.
B.Separate the steering column hole cover from the steering column hole cover boot.

C.Place matchmarks on the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly and steering gear assembly.
D.Remove the bolt and disconnect the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.

2.Remove the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.
A.Place matchmarks on the steering sliding yoke sub-assembly and steering main shaft assembly.
B.Remove the bolt and steering sliding yoke sub-assembly from the steering main shaft assembly.

3.Place the corresponding matchmarks on the NEW steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.
To place the matchmarks on the NEW steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly, place a NEW steering intermediate shaft next to the original steering intermediate shaft assembly (removed in the previous step) and transfer those match marks to the same locations on the NEW steering intermediate shaft.

4.Install the NEW steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.
A.Align the matchmark with the one on the steering sliding yoke sub-assembly and the steering main shaft assembly.
B.Install the steering sliding yoke sub-assembly with the bolt.
Torque: 35.3 N.m (360 kgf.cm, 26 ft.lbf)

5.Connect the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.
A.Align the matchmarks on the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly and the steering gear assembly.
B.Install the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly with the bolt.
Torque: 35.3 N.m (360 kgf.cm, 26 ft.lbf)

C.Install the steering column hole cover to the steering hole cover boot.
D.Connect the clamp to the steering column hole cover boot and tighten the bolt.
6.Remove the steering wheel holder from the vehicle (if used).
7.Road test the vehicle to verify the repair and confirm that the steering wheel is centered

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I've never had any problems with mine.

Pumps and racks aren't common problems that I ever observed.

Are you sure that you don't just hear the brake pads shift after changing directions? I notice that frequently but I know that it's normal so it doesn't concern me. I just thought I would add that in there, just in case.

·
Registered
2003 SE V6
15 Posts
i'm not 100% sure how TSB's work. but i definitely have the clunking sound on my 2003 camry v6. i have 98,000KM's. is my car still covered for this? or does it fall under the warranty only?

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
i'm not 100% sure how TSB's work. but i definitely have the clunking sound on my 2003 camry v6. i have 98,000KM's. is my car still covered for this? or does it fall under the warranty only?
It's only covered under the warranty period.

If you're outside of that you will have to pay for the repair.

TSB's are for information only, and are produced as diagnostic aids.

·
"Its Camry Bitch"
2005 Toyota Camry
303 Posts
You know I noticed this on my Camry as well and it drives me nuts....Luckily I have extended warranty on it so I am taking it this weekend to get it looked at and hopefully replaced by Toyota free of charge!! I was going to do a search on this topic after I heard the popping sound, thankfully someone posted it before me...thanks!:thumbup:

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
nice work on the TSB jsm! TIS is a great thing
i use it constantly

but i have an 03 SE and ive never had any issues with my steering....i have heard about the TSB and the clunking tho, just never experienced it personally

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm also concerned, as my 2003 (Camry 4cyl 123K) is experiencing the same problem (sounds like creaking and pop). I've been told that if a problem is diagnosed/documented as a TSB, it shouldn't affect driving safety or is something that shouldn't fail mechanically, but is just a factory defect. Whereas, Recalls are items that could promote a safety issue or mechanical breakdown. If this is incorrect, please verify.

(If any of you have had the Intake Manifold replaced due to an awful and loud noise, it was a TSB for my particular car. Toyota wanted me to shell out about $800 to repair it, and my so-called extended warranty bought through the dealership would not cover this, since it was just a TSB and posed no threat.)

Main Question(s)

1. Assuming my steering problem is related to this TSB, should I be concerned enough to have it repaired ($1,200 at Toyota), or can I overlook it as just an annoyance? I can use $1,200 for many other things!

2. Are TSBs as urgent/necessary for replacement as a recall? Apparently Toyota didn't think so with my intake manifold......let's just say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", they finally paid for it, as they should!

Thanks for any replies.

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
2. Are TSBs as urgent/necessary for replacement as a recall? Apparently Toyota didn't think so with my intake manifold......let's just say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", they finally paid for it, as they should!

Thanks for any replies.
As stated previously; TSB's are for information only, and are produced as diagnostic aids.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
How much is the part? and what if you changed it yourself? Doesnt look too difficult or am i just ignorant?

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
How much is the part? and what if you changed it yourself? Doesnt look too difficult or am i just ignorant?
I'm not sure how much the part is. It's really easy to change. If you can change oil, you can change the shaft. Be CERTAIN that you follow the TSB's every step. If you don't the rack will not be centered. MAKE SURE THE STEERING WHEEL IS IN THE LOCKED POSITION! If the steering wheel spins you could ruin the airbag clock spring.

It's easy, but follow the instructions in the TSB to the letter. There is no short cut when it comes down do it.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry
9 Posts
TSB & steering intermediate shaft noise

Hey guys,

I had this TSB performed on my 05 Camry LE V6 a few weeks ago. It works just like new. It took them awhile to fix it because the service guy left the airbag circuit open and the light came on - possibly left the wheel unlocked? The steering now feels like the day I took the car off the lot.

I had this performed at around the 30k mile mark. They told me if I took it in after the warranty, it would be a $400 part.

The noise occurred at around the 18k mile mark. I thought I had screwed up the rack and pinion system after driving my Camry through the car wash. Glad that was not the case. When I first brought the car in for diagnostic, the service team leader told me that they could not reproduce the problem. When I told them there was a TSB issued for it, the guy at TOYOTA looked at me as if I had a third eye. He assured that was internet forum bull and that you should not listen to everything on those forums.

About a month ago, I spoke with the shop foreman and he told me there was a TSB issued and that the person I originally took it to did not know jack.

YMMV, but no grit/noise makes me happy.

:)

j67

·
14TAH Touring 10 TundraDC
2014 TAH Touring
397 Posts
Thanks to this Thread and group. I have an 05 Camry 4cyl LE 26k and I just notice a clunking sensation as I turn the wheel from side to side navigating out of my driveway and 90 degree apron. I had the tires rotated recently so I thought they forgot to tighten the lug nuts, but checking didn't indicate that was the cause. I took the car to the dealer and they confirmed it was the intermediate shaft (as identified in this forum) and they ordered one. I let them know right away there was a Service Bulletin and they checked it out and agreed there was a problem just as the bulletin indicated. They assured me the vehicle was safe to operate, and said it was a known defect that I should not experience with the improved replacement. Thank God I found this issue before the warranty expired. Hopefully this will eliminate this annoying problem. I will report back on the results.

Thanks again to the experts on this Forum for quickly pointing me in the right direction.

Reb

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
^ Any updates? I have a clunking sensation in my steering as well - I thought it might have been caused by my recent tire rotation, but it sounds like exactly the same problem as the poster above. For me, there's no noise - but the steering feels sloppy and there's a clunking sensation felt in the steering wheel when turning.

I'm out of warranty by a few weeks (I'm at 36.5 months / 27K miles) so I'll have to pay for the repair. I really don't want to but if I have to, I will. I was driving a friend's '05 Avalon all night on Saturday and after going back to my car, the difference was noticeable. Other than the sloppy steering which started 6-10 months ago, I still love my Camry!

·
2014 TAH Touring
397 Posts
The dealer is picking the car up tomorrow to fix the shaft. I will let you know how the repair goes. Your description matches mine. It is a know defect and even out of warranty I would push for Toyota to pick up the tab. It's not wear and tear, it was a defective design.

Reb

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
Yeah.. I'm trying to get in touch with a sales guy at a Toyota dealership to see if he can help me out. If I have to pay, I'll do so but I am definitely planning on writing to Toyota to express my dissatisfaction and ask them to foot the bill. I agree with your reasoning - it's not a wear and tear item, so why should we have to pay for it?

By the way, are you getting a loaner car in the meantime? I'm curious how long this repair is supposed to take.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,670 Posts
Never had any problems with both of the camrys so far.

·
2014 TAH Touring
397 Posts
The dealer picked my car up from work due to another screwed up repair they did replacing the shifter PRNDL Bezel the 3rd time now after hacking it up. They dropped off the car today at work after fixing the bezel correctly this time and the intermediate shaft. The clunking is gone and the steering is tight again like new. The technician managed to screw the job up some more and didn't check the work. The airbag light was on and none of the steering controls for the radio worked when I drove it after the repair. I dropped it off again on the way home and the dealer gave me a loaner and promised it would be ready tomorrow. The service manger was really pissed at the tech and said he would make it right. I'll report further on progress.

Reb

1 - 20 of 83 Posts