Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2003 Camry with OEM Bridgestone Potenza R92's. These tires are terrible on wet and snowy roads and the tire wear is also poor. On the upside these are the quietest and smoothest riding tires I've ever had. I can probably squeeze another year out of these but don't want to go through another winter sliding around.
I'm looking for recommendations for an upgrade. From the reviews I've seen on the Potenza's I'm sure others have experienced the same problems.
Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have those tires as well, I'm at 18k with no problems in the rain, I hope they wear out soon so I can buy different rims
are you rotating them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
For Camry SE '03

I have an '03 SE 2.4L 4cyl. Already have 42k+ miles on it...Got it January of '03...Yup i drive a lot...Field service...I like the stock Potenza's on it...But poor thread life. Traction on snow and wet road will definitely suck for they're performance tires. Soft rubber with flexible sidewalls and meant to be used at high speeds on dry roads.

Beong that the SE is rated at a speed rating of V, which being within the LA county would not work, I downgraded to the Michellin Pilot H-rated, 215/60/R16...Sears had a 50,000 mi treadwear warranty on them. So far so good...I'll keep you posted on it.

You can also try Bridgestone Turanza's...$157.00 a piece at Costco, inclusive of Road Hazard...

·
Mighty Flying Family Sedn
Camry
510 Posts
What tire would you guys recommend for OEM size for the Gen 5? i'm thinking of getting the Conti Contact Extremes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got a set of Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds..Very happy, very quiet smooth ride. I never thought the OEM potenzas were quiet, to me they were cheapest bidder POS. The Comfortreds have a goodyear guarantee that if you are not happy with these, you can trade them in within 60 days and get another model of goodyear tires. Original potenzas lasted just 18K miles but then again, the treadware life is only 160. Not much traction in wet weather with the potenzas, basically downright spooky travelling freeway speeds. Got the goodyears at sears about 107 each. Check out tirerack.com for tons of info.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
^ Your original Potenzas only lasted 18K miles? I'm coming up to 18K miles and I still have ~2/3 tread left.. Looks like it'll last me a while and I drive fairly agressively. As far as traction -- many people have complained about it. It's not the best but even in heavy rain I haven't had a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts