Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post to ask a question but I have spent over an hour here and this will be a regular forum going forward. Lots of good info.

Anyway, I recent purchased a new head unit for my 2003 camry. It had the 6 disc JBL stereo and the steering wheel has NO radio controls.

I was wondering if there was another steering wheel I could replace the stock one with that would give me the controls. I could then use an ipac device to control my new head unit.

I am thinking the cost is going to be high (500 - 1000), but it is something I would really like integrated into the car and not use a remote. I have almost 100k mike and hope to get another 100k.

So if this is possible please let me know, and if you can point me to the parts that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I spent tonight trying to find the answer. It appears that I can put a 2003 - 2007 steering wheel in a 2003 Camry. So I just need to know the part number for a wheel with steering wheel controls.

This is a little more difficult then I thought. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Well I spent tonight trying to find the answer. It appears that I can put a 2003 - 2007 steering wheel in a 2003 Camry. So I just need to know the part number for a wheel with steering wheel controls.

This is a little more difficult then I thought. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
HA!!!! The steering wheel is the least of your problems. You need the correct clockspring connectors and wiring to head unit.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the wiring to the head unit is not a problem as I have an after market pac unit for that.

I am not sure what clock springs are. Can you tell me?

Also, any additional information would help as I really don't know what I am doing.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Well the wiring to the head unit is not a problem as I have an after market pac unit for that.

I am not sure what clock springs are. Can you tell me?

Also, any additional information would help as I really don't know what I am doing.
A clockspring (Toyota calls it a spiral cable) is a special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag, the vehicle's horn and other devices (Bluetooth, radio, heater controls) and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column.

You need the right clockspring (they are the same in the GEN6), connector and the wiring down the steering column to the head unit as I have already stated.

Have a ball....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

So how major of a modification is this? From the sound of it, it sounds pretty expensive and may not be worth it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
heh.. My 03 XLE actually came with JBL speakers and HU but it didn't have steering wheel controls either.. So I just bought aftermarket HU and use my iphone to control the music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts