Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Rich_d- I didn't spray brake cleaner on the maf sensor. I sprayed it on any lines connected to the pcv and maf system..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Also... Is ANYONE going to answer me about how IF the 02 sensors/cat were the problem, THEY'D THROW A CODE?!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Also... Is ANYONE going to answer me about how IF the 02 sensors/cat were the problem, THEY'D THROW A CODE?!
not always. codes don't get thrown till they degrade to a certain point. i haven't re-read the entire thread so i don't know if this has been mentioned. the injectors could be mechanically leaking, which would cause horrid gas mileage and not throw a code. also i had a 2005 Matrix that would constantly throw the cat code and i replaced the rear o2 sensor hoping that would fix it, the cat was clear, and i find out that that car was intended for the canadian market which doesn't (at the time) have the ethanol blend and find out that the computer needed to be reprogrammed to account for the ethanol. my fix was putting an extension on the rear o2 mount moving the rear o2 sensor out of the direct path of the exhaust but still somewhat in the path. the code didn't trigger and mpg improved, but i don't recall how much it improved.
wish i had bookmarked the website i found the ethanol info at, sorry.
id see if you can find a way to have the injectors tested for leaking.

hope this helps

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,663 Posts
To answer your question, you need to post data.

Fuel trims
MAF
O2 sensors

We're at this point shooting in the dark without the data. If you do have it, freeze frame data helps also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Good news, everybody! I set an appointment with an auto shop to tell me what my fuel trims are. And, provided they can get it done on Friday, I'll let ya know ASAP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... Fuel trims! For some reason, they did both open loop and closed loop.
-Open loop: STFT= -6.27 LTFT=4.65
-Closed loop: STFT=3.87 LTFT= 1.53

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have no clue what that means. What did they tell you it meant?

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
114 Posts
It just takes FOREVER for it to shift (even with O/D on).
This comment here tells me to look into the transmission before anything else.
What transmission fluid did you use? What procedure (drain and fill or actual flush)? Did you find metal shavings at the bottom of the oil pan? What does the oil look like now?

If it keeps revving high before it switches gears then something is wrong in the transmission not in the engine.

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
114 Posts
Transmissions are very sensitive and must use the correct oil or you might end up using an oil that does not only have the wrong viscosity, it might erode/corrode/destroy parts inside or sensors.

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S with 245k miles
83 Posts
And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... Fuel trims! For some reason, they did both open loop and closed loop.
-Open loop: STFT= -6.27 LTFT=4.65
-Closed loop: STFT=3.87 LTFT= 1.53
This looks fine. No issue here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
1989SupraT- (copied and pasted from comment #13) "John Anthony- No idea what fluid was actually used, but hopefully they used T-IV compatible fluid. Yes, it was a drain-pan drop-filter replacement-refill. I asked the shop I took it to- about a flush, and they didn't recommend doing a flush (because of possible damage- which I was 100% ok with). I COULD be wrong- but I don't think the trans filter is dirty, because the last time I checked the trans dipstick, it was still pretty pink. But I'll check it again". (copied and pasted from comment #32) "John Anthony- I checked the trans fluid a few days ago, and I'd guess it was still 60% pink".

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
114 Posts
If you are hoping the shop used the correct fluid you already started wrong. Most shops do not use the recommended fluids for anything, they use what they can get cheaper or have on hand, unless you specifically ask for it and then they usually charge extra because of the extra expense.

I would do the drain and fill myself a couple of times still pretty cheap to do before I try anything else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
I've changed my spark plugs from the NGK's, to the Denso's, and noticed a difference. It shifts earlier, and idles differently/better too. I THINK I've noticed a difference in the mpg already. I'm going to try one more tank of 85 octane, just to see what it does. Afterwards (and depending on results), I might try a tank of 88 octane. I had someone tell me that there may be something (numbered- on the engine side of the throttle plate), that when sprayed with brake cleaner- could be damaged. Any truth to that?

1989SupraT- As much as I'd love to replace the trans fluid, I can't bring myself to do it when it's still mostly pink, and with only 10k miles put on said fluid. It MIGHT not be T-IV, but it's definitely better than what was in it. So my question is... Does it absolutely have to be changed now, or can it wait 20k miles more? Also, when to change the filter... Now or at 30k miles?

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
114 Posts
The thing with transmission oil type is that using the correct oil is way more important than using the correct motor oil in the engine, that's why manufacturers recommend a specific type of oil, the damage that the wrong oil type can do to a transmission can range from the transmission not operating correctly, to the oil eroding gears or other parts inside the transmission, the color normally is the least of your concerns. It's your car and your call man, if you can go back to said shop and at least ask what kind of oil they use/d and it'll be a start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Good news, everyone! I'm back on track to getting 30 MPG. Filled @ 116,116k, and is now at 116,300k, with the gauge needle @ 2nd small line below the 1/2 mark. Definitely not using NGK plugs again.

Vaporisor- If I'm back at 30 MPG, would I need to use/switch to 88 octane?

1989SupraT- I called the trans shop I took it to, and they said they use Toyota recommended fluids. So good news, right?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
So as long as Toyota recommended fluid is in fact Toyota Fluid. I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S with 245k miles
83 Posts
Good news, everyone! I'm back on track to getting 30 MPG. Filled @ 116,116k, and is now at 116,300k, with the gauge needle @ 2nd small line below the 1/2 mark. Definitely not using NGK plugs again.

Vaporisor- If I'm back at 30 MPG, would I need to use/switch to 88 octane?

1989SupraT- I called the trans shop I took it to, and they said they use Toyota recommended fluids. So good news, right?
Could be bootleg ngk plugs. There are a lot of knockoffs on the market. I'm glad you fixed it! I use the Valvoline from Walmart for atf. The one that comes in a red jug.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts