Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2003 Corolla ce, her name is Martha. I was just wondering if anyone else's car starts off at 1,600 to 1,800 rpm when cold starting and then the rpm going down after 10 mins? I've had her almost 4 years and this is how she's always been but when I have just changed the oil, the rpm isn't as high at cold start and it takes less time to warm up. Also, when she's fully warmed up and I'm still in park, I call it a hard pur that she does at operating temp. Like a little vibration when she's warmed up but doesn't do it when she's still cold. I'm pretty sure I need a new gasket seal for her since she's leaking oil, but I was just wondering if she rpm at cold start is normal and the vibration at park? Also, fully stock car, 134k miles.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
17,338 Posts
I would check for vacuum leaks. Check around the intake manifold also. It’s likely blown out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Time for a tune up. Spark plugs for sure as they are due at 120,000 miles and some fuel injector cleaner for now. (check the air filter and clean the PCV valve) You probably need your throttlebody cleaned also. Engine mounts start to wear out and cause the engine vibrations to be felt more at idle.
1600 to 1800 rpms at idle when cold is normal, that's what mine does. Depends how cold it is though.
Your oil leak could be from your valve cover gasket, cam chain tensioner or your crank seal or cover. It's common for those areas to start leaking.
These cars are bulletproof if you maintain them.
Good luck

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2003 Corolla ce, her name is Martha. I was just wondering if anyone else's car starts off at 1,600 to 1,800 rpm when cold starting and then the rpm going down after 10 mins? I've had her almost 4 years and this is how she's always been but when I have just changed the oil, the rpm isn't as high at cold start and it takes less time to warm up. Also, when she's fully warmed up and I'm still in park, I call it a hard pur that she does at operating temp. Like a little vibration when she's warmed up but doesn't do it when she's still cold. I'm pretty sure I need a new gasket seal for her since she's leaking oil, but I was just wondering if she rpm at cold start is normal and the vibration at park? Also, fully stock car, 134k miles.
your intake manifold gasket likely needs to be replaced, my son's matrix did that and replacing the gasket fixed it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As @kevcules46 said, 16-1800 RPM is normal at cold start and lasts a minute or two, then slowly decreases to around 800ish (depending on whether the AC is on, etc) as the engine warms. How quickly this happens depends on several factors including the ambient temperature.

That said, if your engine persistently idles high, you likely have a vacuum leak, faulty intake gasket, dirty MAF or throttle body, or a faulty sensor. Does your service light come on (solid or intermittently)? If not I would just inspect every vacuum hose for leaks. Also, given the known issue with the original intake gasket design, if the intake gasket is original, replace it with the new silicone version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As @kevcules46 said, 16-1800 RPM is normal at cold start and lasts a minute or two, then slowly decreases to around 800ish (depending on whether the AC is on, etc) as the engine warms. How quickly this happens depends on several factors including the ambient temperature.

That said, if your engine persistently idles high, you likely have a vacuum leak, faulty intake gasket, dirty MAF or throttle body, or a faulty sensor. Does your service light come on (solid or intermittently)? If not I would just inspect every vacuum hose for leaks. Also, given the known issue with the original intake gasket design, if the intake gasket is original, replace it with the new silicone version.
It takes around 10 mins for my car to fully warm up, this has been the case since I had her in West Virginia in the snowy temperatures to California in the heat wave temps. My engine light has never came on since having her. Kinda makes me wonder if it even works 😅. Thank you for the link and info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts