Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone.

I think I may have a noisy baffle in my intake manifold on my 2003 Corolla S 5sp.

I came to this conclusion after reading a bunch of stuff on the net.

Anyway about 1k miles ago I replaced my intake manifold gasket and lately have noticed a rattling sound at about 2400-2800 rpms and is noticeable when shifting in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I cannot hear it in 4th or 5th because of the the road noise, etc.

There is NO vibration, no oil consumption, no difference in MPG, etc.

I found through youtube videos and a link that there is an easy fix for the noisy baffle inside the intake manifold using a simple screw.

I dont even know if this is my problem but if I can fix it with a screw why not try.

The link; http://gorup-sinkovec.net/diy/rattling-noise-in-toyota-corolla-intake-manifold-solved/

Shows it was done on a corolla, however there intake where they put the screw on the top part of the intake looks different then mine.

According to the site it originally stated to remove the intake manifold, however several people have left the manifold on the car and simply screwed a screw from top.

What about plastic shavings getting into the manifold?

Some of the things I read says not to worry as they are plastic and will simply melt and not cause any issues. I don't know.

If anyone here on Toyota Nation has done this screw method on there 2003-2008 Corolla without removing the manifold, how did you do it? Where did you put the screw on top? Worried about plastic shavings?

Thank You

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be an exhaust manifold heat shield rattle... those always get lose and make noise.
I checked the heat shield, doesn't seem loose or make any abnormal sounds when tapping it.

Besides if it was a loose heatshield wouldn't it make noise at all speeds, even at idle?

My car only makes the noises between certain RPM's

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,831 Posts
I have never heard of this problem, but if you look all of those manifolds are from overseas vehicles (probably Europe or Russia/Ukraine).

I'm not 100% sure whether our manifold has the baffle or not.

If you can check ebay or Craigslist, you may be able to get a replacement manifold for very cheap from a wrecked car (try to find a car wrecked in the rear or side away from the engine).

If you do try the fix anyway, remove the manifold. Melted shavings can do serious damage in your combustion chamber or leave heavy deposits.

Please report back and let us know what you decide.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,831 Posts
I have never heard of it before, but when I started looking I found many people have this issue.
I've heard of it on the early Camry models.

There is only one way to find out if it's the same problem...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts