Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the transmission oil and plugs should be changed on a 2003 Corolla. We lost the manual and I can't find any info online. The guy at Auto Zone said not to even worry about it until 75k miles or so but that seems like a bit much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Boog

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I suppose its a manual transmission, because in those you change the oils like every 40,000km or so (or if the tranny starts to misshift, etc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an automatic and believe it or not my sister findally found the manual and it says under normal driving conditions the fluid will _never_ need to be changed??? And on the transmission dip stick it says it does not need to be changed???!!! Are they using new super ATF now? Geesh.

And the spark plugs supposedly last for a minimum of 60k. The manual doesn't require that they be changed until 120k??? This sounds crazy.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Btw, it has 30k miles on it. I'm thinking of waiting until 60k then changing both?

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
You have irridium plugs they last much longer than platinum.

If your worried just change them out anyway at 60,000 miles.

I wouldn't do the ATF unless the fluid on the stick looks crappy or you are having problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same thing with my 2004 corolla it says to possibly replace the transmission fluid at i think 150,000 and the spark plugs are like 100k its crazy but im afraid if atf is in there that long it will become sludgy and screw up the transmission

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
theman86_2 said:
I have the same thing with my 2004 corolla it says to possibly replace the transmission fluid at i think 150,000 and the spark plugs are like 100k its crazy but im afraid if atf is in there that long it will become sludgy and screw up the transmission
You can look at the fluid whenever you want by pulling the dipstick. If it becomes overly clouded you can change it.
Your tranny will not get instantly screwed up, if your fluid is so cooked that it starts to affect the tranny, you will feel the difference long before any permenant dammage is done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theman86_2 said:
How on earth can transmission fluid last 150k????

Wouldn't it break down by then?

I'm changing mine at 60k I think.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had toyota flush the tranny fluid in my automatic at a little over 100K the plugs today at 107300 miles.

·
Registered
983 Posts
theman86_2 said:
:wtf: You guys better check your scheduled maintenance books :boink: ...I have an 03 and it says in my automatic the ATF fluid gets changed every 30-60-90-120 miles and so on! Meaning every 30 thousand... How :confused: could anyone here suggest waiting till 150K for a ATF change or suggesting changing fluid when it looks bad, cloudy or crappy :confused: by then it might already have done damage :ugh3:...Hope your cars are still running :lol: don't know how with that thinking ;)
~Radd

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
1,209 Posts
yes like radd said, the major service intervals. ANd i believe they check ur plugs then too.

PS. At my dealership i got this agreement every major service interval I get a loaner car. Plus a bunch of free stuff and rebates.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Raddman said:
:wtf: You guys better check your scheduled maintenance books :boink: ...I have an 03 and it says in my automatic the ATF fluid gets changed every 30-60-90-120 miles and so on! Meaning every 30 thousand... How :confused: could anyone here suggest waiting till 150K for a ATF change or suggesting changing fluid when it looks bad, cloudy or crappy :confused: by then it might already have done damage :ugh3:...Hope your cars are still running :lol: don't know how with that thinking ;)
~Radd
It doesn't say to change the auto tranny fluid every 30K miles.:hammer:

·
Registered
983 Posts
It doesn't say to change the auto tranny fluid every 30K miles.
Its in it your scheduled maintenance book which I would think it means it a service that needs to be done at that mileage, Where are you getting your info from that says different or is it just your opinion :confused:
~Radd

·
Registered
168 Posts
Raddman said:
Its in it your scheduled maintenance book which I would think it means it a service that needs to be done at that mileage, Where are you getting your info from that says different or is it just your opinion :confused:
~Radd
Post a pic of the page in the toyota manual where it says to change every 30K miles and I'll send you $20.

It may say inspect, but inspect does not mean change.

·
Registered
983 Posts
kwirnu said:
Post a pic of the page in the toyota manual where it says to change every 30K miles and I'll send you $20.

It may say inspect, but inspect does not mean change.
What does replace mean?...Send the $20 to your favorite charity :nutkick: ~Radd

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
kwirnu said:
I had toyota flush the tranny fluid in my automatic at a little over 100K the plugs today at 107300 miles.
Thanks for sharing but next time don't drag up a 2 year old thread to tell us;) :thumbup:

Raddman said:
~Radd
Chill out man. Is that scan from the dealership? They love charging for useless crap like changing your tranny fluid at 30k. anyway, check this out: http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php?xv=6&xy=2003&xint_id=48&v=6&y=2003&int_id=48

I bet we could exchange links all day of different intervals for changing fluid.
I told that guy to check his stick and see what the fluid looks like because that can tell you a lot. He was saying he was scared because he was worried it would get all sludgy on him as if there was no way to tell what was going on. The bottom line is that the life of tranny fluid is highly dependent on the stress on the transmission. Long long before the tranny fluid breaks down enough to not properly lube the tranny and cause dammage the fluid starts to become discolored. Trust me my car is running just fine and I've never brought it to a dealership or any shop for anything that's not covered under waranty. :rolleyes: How could anyone suggest?! *gasp*:eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Raddman said:
What does replace mean?...Send the $20 to your favorite charity :nutkick: ~Radd

That came from a 2003-2006 toyota corolla manual? Post a pic of the manual and date that page came from.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Chris Corolla S said:
Thanks for sharing but next time don't drag up a 2 year old thread to tell us;) :thumbup:
I could have started a new thread but why? There was still a question of when the fluid should be changed. I wanted to share that the tranny would be fine with atleast 100000 mile fluid changes.

·
Registered
983 Posts
kwirnu said:
That came from a 2003-2006 toyota corolla manual? Post a pic of the manual and date that page came from.
Trust me or don't, I can see where this is going...I don't have time to play your stupid games! :jerkit:
~Radd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.