Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Echo & 4Runner
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock air conditioning system in my 2003 Echo failed abruptly last week. The air no longer blows cold when the system is turned on. I've also noticed that the engine "hum" no longer changes frequency (gets lower because of what I assume is the added load) when I turn the A/C on. I checked the fuse and it looks intact.

Any ideas as to what could be going on?

·
M/T lover
'00 Echo
965 Posts
Hmm perhaps a bad ac clutch? I am no ac expert but that sounds plausible to me. Do you know where the compressor is? If so I would pop the hood with the car idling and ac on, and verify the compressor is cycling on and off. I'm a trucker and am thus about 300 miles from my Echo right now, but I believe it is located way low down, might be the lowest accessory on the car.

·
7,892 Posts
I imagine you checked the fuse for the blower motor? It sounds like the clutch is not engaging to me also. It might be getting power and a bad clutch or it might not be getting power. I would look for loose or broken wires as well.

·
M/T lover
'00 Echo
965 Posts
^^broken wires, always a good thought. Check for electrical tape too, I always get suspicious when I see electrical tape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts