Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 03 Quoia SR5 w/ 4WD - 200k+ miles.

I changed the actuator, I changed the diff fluids, when I press the 4WD button the light on the dash blinks but doesn't turn solid and the 4WD does not engage. The actuator does work.

Car has been used primarily as 2WD, and there was a long time where the 4WD has not been activated - might be the cause of this problem?

I am running out of ideas, and my next step will be going to a dealer for an [expensive] diagnostic.

Before I do that, does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
08 Sequoia; 11 Highlander; 02 Lexus RX300
36 Posts
Which actuator are you referring to?

On my 08 there is an actuator at the front of the car that distributes power to the front tires, and also an actuator at the transfer case for sending power to the front wheels and to cycle between 4wd hi/lo. Both work in tandem. but it seems the t-case actuator is the one prone to failure. I literally just hade my t-case actuator replaced due to the same issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm like 80% sure both actuators were replaced, and hear clicking on both -- unless "clicking" doesn't necessarily mean "working"
I pulled the actuator from same year Tundra. How much did you pay for your replacement?

·
Registered
08 Sequoia; 11 Highlander; 02 Lexus RX300
36 Posts
I'm like 80% sure both actuators were replaced, and hear clicking on both -- unless "clicking" doesn't necessarily mean "working"
I pulled the actuator from same year Tundra. How much did you pay for your replacement?
$3400, half parts half labor for the t-case actuator.

Could be that the actuator only travels part way. On my old piece (I asked for it back), the actuator that controls 4WD had corrosion on one of the three electrical guides (see pics).
When it first started going out, I could still hear the actuators move but not engage, and the dash lights for 4WD and center would flash continuously. Then eventually the t-case stopped moving altogether. So it could still be the actuator, otherwise it would have to be something with the rods that go in to the t-case (not really any other parts).

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.