Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having any problem with the auto transmission in this vehicle? I get a bump after stopping as the transmission "catches up" as one dealer tells me. It just doesn't feel right and was wondering if anyone else feels this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this trouble also. The only thing you can do is lube all the u joint connections, especially the one closest to the differential. For some reason they get dry. You will be suprised how much grease you can put in there. Hope this helps.

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
yeh what grape said. I'd bet dollars to dohnuts its the drive shaft(propellershaft) joint. they are supposed to be greased and snugged every oil change but the lazy mofo's at the dealer won't do it. So I've been doing the servicing myself.
If your going to tighten the driveshaft yourself I recommend bying a wrench that is only used for it and keep it in a safe place. the bolts are soft and easilly chiggered up so be careful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was just at the dealer this morning. mechanic said he has been with Toyota for a long time and it is an inherant characteristic of the Tacoma, "they all do it" as he put it. He claims that my deal is that the transmission winds down and that this is first gear sort of "relaxing" since it is an auto transmission. I mentioned the axle wrap to him and about the greasing or I was even told about adding a leaf spring or two and he said that he really doesn't believe that would solve the problem. "Nothing that can really be done" he says. I have a brilliant idea, Toyota it has been years with this issue, fix the problem. I love the truck but damn is this irritating.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Yeah, it should be fixed in the '05, but I do have to agree with you, it shoulda been fixed a long time ago. There was a member on customtacos.com who greased the crap out of the propeller shaft and the u-joints and has had no problem since. That reminds me I need to do that too!

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
you can do it less than the time it takes for the oil to drain out of the oil pan. two zerts on the joint next to the tranny and two zerts on the joint next to the differntal. one zert at each end of the u joints. use lithium grease #2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much does it usually take? I don't want to go out and not buy enough. Sounds like something I will give a shot a though because it is definitely annoying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 01 double cab and it does the same thing, and the dealer told me the same thing too. I'm going to try greasing the parts like you all said. And hell yeah it's annoying.

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
make it right? You can. the last time I checked heavy duty greasless drive shafts were running around $2K I'll take the 200 dollar drive shaft and 3 bucks for 2 years worth of grease anyday. Thats just me though.

Ten co works have the same truck I do. and I have 10 other friend that also have the same damn truck, prety muck why I got one too. The people that have this problem I've found are the guys and gals taking it to the dealer to have it serviced. The guys that do it themselve don't have the problem simple becuase the ones doing their service themselves are doing everything on the little check list that
came with the vehical and one of those thing is greasing and tightening the drive shaft. I watched the dealer mechanic twice since the first two service intervals I had them do it. all they did was drain the oil and put a new filter in. they didn't even check the oil level before they started the engine.
since then they have never touched my truck nore will ever touch it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
anyone know where the u joints/propellar shaft are located at on a 03 2wd v6 tacoma prerunner? or pictures from service manuals? i need to grease them bad. or anyone know where to buy a service manual. not the cheap ones but the one that the dealers charge up the @$$ for. many many thx!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
anyone know where the u joints/propellar shaft are located at on a 03 2wd v6 tacoma prerunner? or pictures from service manuals? i need to grease them bad. or anyone know where to buy a service manual. not the cheap ones but the one that the dealers charge up the @$$ for. many many thx!!!;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
berettar6 said:
anyone know where the u joints/propellar shaft are located at on a 03 2wd v6 tacoma prerunner? or pictures from service manuals? i need to grease them bad. or anyone know where to buy a service manual. not the cheap ones but the one that the dealers charge up the @$$ for. many many thx!!!;)
The rear Zerts on this writeup are the same as yours. You just don't have the front ones on the prerunner.

http://www.4runners.org/articles/zerk/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts