Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 4-cylinder 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with about 65,000 miles on it. The colder it gets, the more noise the engine makes when started. If it's around 20 degrees, it makes a slight ticking noise on startup that lasts for a minute or so. If it's 6 degrees out, like today, it makes a very loud ticking noise for about a minute which I, although not a mechanic, associate with valves. I keep the engine serviced at the dealer with the recommended oil. It never makes the sound when it's warmer out.

Is this something I should be concerned about and mention to the service guy at the dealer or is this normal?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
What brand and weight of oil are you using? The sound is more than likely just due to the cold and the operating characteristics of the oil. You "may" want to try an 0W-30 in place of the 5W-30 if that is what is spec'd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being lazy and having done it enough in my life, I always take the Tacoma to the local Toyota dealership and have them service it so I'm assuming they're putting the weight of oil in it that is called for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Eric......

My 03 Taco is identical to yours. 2.7L 4-cylinder, 4x4. I run a full synthetic oil with no cold start issues. You can safely use 5W30 regular or full synthetic. You'll find that the synthetic makes a amazing difference on start up and gas milage.

I run either Mobile 1 or Amsoil. Both are full synthetic.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
I would have thesame problem with my 02 taco but like NCGuy68 i use full synthetic I highly reccomend it. still change it when you normally do though. it cost but it is worth it. I don't care what kind of oil you put in it gets dirty.

Lance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts