Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As title says, my car that has 146k and had no major problem so far. Today afternoon I went to the grocery, drove 3 miles, did a shopping for 10-15 minutes, came back, started to drive a car, and noticed a fine shaking. I stopped at the red light, then at a 4-way stop, and put the stick shift into neutral. Regardless the shift was in neutral or anything between 1 and 4, the car continued to shake (it was like a fine tremor). I parked my car for about 1-2 hours, went outside, restarted, same issue, and now the Check Engine light came up. Any idea? I am taking my car to AutoZone to check for the codes, but want to have some idea in advance what could cause the problem. Is it possible that I have to change battery? The last time I changed it was in November 2012, and I live in Texas (I know, I know...) :-(

Thank you in advance for your time and reply.

h99x

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm supposing that the engine is 'misfiring'. You may have a fouled or dead spark plug, lousy connection or perhaps a fuel injector is mis-behaving. You can certainly check the plugs yourself and if you have a timing light on hand you can check for strong spark. Use some anti-seize paste on the spark plug threads when you put them back in; steel plugs in an aluminum head are a common recipe for seizing in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your fast response. I read several other forums, and what came down is that the problem is misfiring, just like you wrote, also some issue might be with ignition coil and sparks.

So, I went to Autozone, they checked the codes, and it was

P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected (this line was printed twice, not sure if it has some importance).

I bought the ignition coil ($84.99 + 8.25% Texas sales tax) and the 4 spark plugs (~$30 altogether).

I went to a shop, they told me it take 1-1.5 hours to change, and it will be $95.

When I am looking at the RepairPal estimate site, ignition coil is between $98 and $162, labor is between $26 and $34 - again, this is NOT my estimate. I looked up on Youtube, because everyone says I should be able to do it myself (but hey, I am a woman :-(((), and it takes somewhere between 10-15 minutes to change.

Either way, I drove home from the service, because 35 min before closing they said they would take my car tomorrow (so 2 miles home was not that bad).

In the meantime I called a few services in the area that is suggested by the above site.

One shop said to call back tomorrow for the estimate.
The other said they don't do part installation (I told them that I got the coil and plugs which anyway they would purchase from somewhere else, too - right?). I said it would not be really installation, it would be a change. He said he would not take it. Then I asked ok, let's say, you give the part, how much time they labor would take. He said if I leave my car there around 8 AM tomorrow, by noon it should be ready. Sounds awfully lot of time... he would not tell me a price saying that he needs to know my car's VIN [???].

I am not sure what to think. $95 sounds a lot, but I don't have any other choice, it looks like.

Anyway, thank you again for your advice.

Btw, if I speed up, the check engine light start to blink, so I have to slow down, cannot drive more than 30 mph.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you own a socket set it probably has everything needed for the job. If you change your own oil, this isn't outta your skill range. 10mm wrench, ratchet, extension, spark plug socket. A dab of anti-seize on the spark plug threads.. you might not even need the coil if you find an obvious problem with the spark plug upon removal.
I don't think $95 is unreasonable for shop rates, but this is a job that can be done at home with minimal tools if you're on a budget. Or maybe you have a friend who can help? I'd do it for a few icy cold beers for somebody I knew.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha-ha, you are funny. You, just like my friends, believe that I live in a garage :-( Unless I give to wrench/socket/etc., the only way I will get it is from the ebay that I am browsing in the last 2 hours.

Found a great youtube video, not sure if I am allowed to post here, 'showing a spark plug replacement on a 2000 toyota echo 1.5L install replace remove how to', but I don't even know where and what to buy when it comes to tools.

I would not complain about the $95 at all, had not I read about much less for labor on some repairpal site... and watched a few youtube videos. Besides one told me it takes 1-1.5 hours (yeah, probably it will for me, first time!), and the other proposed a 4-hour work time and would not give a straight answer. For some reason when they see XX chromosomes and hear my accent, they immediately visualize dollar signs on my forehead. I hate it :-(

I also went on ebay, and found ignition coil for $12 (after watching a YT video where someone suggested it). And mine was $85 + 8.25% Texas sales tax :-(

So, if you are in Houston, I can look for some cold beer :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts