Toyota Nation Forum banner

2003 Toyota Matrix 1ZZFE strange noise in drive

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Cscar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have 2003 Toyota Matrix that has 1ZZ-FE. The car has been sitting long time, now I'm trying to make it run good so I can sell it.

(0:19~ 0:24 Loud and Clear) So while this car is in drive around 2000 RPM, it's making rattling or knocking noise. I don't know how to describe it.

<

But when it's in Park, and I rev it up, it doesn't make any noise.

Also in low RPM, it start to struggle. Like almost stalling like. and Whenever I put in in reverse, RPM drops like crazy.

I recently changed Alternator/ Battery / Spark plug (BTW there was oil inside) / Valve cover Gasket for begin my maintenance/repair process.

Any idea where I should check next? Is it engine or transmission? I mean the noise coming from driver side which is where transmission is located I believe...

The crappiest part is that it's only throwing misfire code sometime here and there. and it goes away.

This car is full of problems but 3 Main problems I have right now is that...

1) Rough Idle. (Car Idles between 1K ~ 500RPM it acts like it will stall any time, and symptom gets worse when in gear)

2) Weird noise knock or rattling noise in 2000RPM~3000RPM range

Land vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Hood
Liquid Writing implement Office supplies Cosmetics Writing instrument accessory

3) Oil leaks in Spark Plug well Even I replaced valve cover gasket (One piece with O-Ring). I believe this threw few misfire codes. (First I thought codes were caused by alternator. My mustang GT I used own had a misfire problem because of alternator)

I'm gonna test if it has a blown head gasket. I HOPE IT DOESN'T HAVE IT. (I checked radiator cap and stuff but no milky stuff yet. Gotta actually test it with proper tool)

See less See more
2 2
#3 ·
the serpentine belt and turn your pulleys by hand. The belt tensioner pulley could be going or timing chain related. Gotta
Pull off the serpentine belt and turn your pulleys by hand. The belt tensioner pulley could be going or timing chain related. Gotta do more diag.
Photograph Automotive tire White Light Gear
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber

I was thinking that it could be pulley too, and I did check when changed Alternator(and belt), but all pulleys were fine.

and if pulleys were problem, shouldn't it make noise when it's parked as well?

#4 ·
Sorry I forgot to mention, there's also RPM struggle. It seem not normal

Car idling between 1K~500RPM. I did bit of research, it could be intake gasket.

Did little bit of test with Carb cleaner (Spraying it while car is idling to see if there is any leak) But seems like there's no change at all.

(2:15~3:00) Scotty Kilmer trick didn't work :(

#6 ·
Exactly, no code bro! This is what frustrates me the most. Don't even have a clue where to start.

How long have you had the symptom? Are you still driving? Is it safe to drive?

Do you also have symptoms of car struggling in Drive or Reverse in low RPM it's about to stall?

I'm starting to think it's Transmission problem. (Noise comes from driver's side where Transmission is located. And the strange noise start to kick in when car's in motion.)

#9 ·
It’s steadying to sound like a loose heat shield to me. As it resonates from the exhaust. But generally speaking, the 1zz does have a noisy lifter profile.

As for the oil in the spark plug tube, I’m wondering if it’s the valve cover seal kit that’s the issue. What brand is it?

For the idle issue, I would check the intake manifold gasket and maf o ring. Also, with engine running, disconnect the maf sensor to see if the IAC takes over or it stumbles. This would indicate a issue with the sensor.

When was the last time the throttle plate was cleaned?

#10 ·
Okay, I will check the exhaust manifold tomorrow morning if heat shield is loose or something. If it's a noisty Lifter Cam,
So can a noisy Lifter Profile a problem ? Like something I need to fix it right away or is it just old engine stuff so people gotta live with it?

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle

Valve Cover gasket, I bought it at Autozone. Fel-Pro VS50542R. I have no idea why it's red. All the tutorial videos were Blue.

I did buy Intake Manifold Gasket just in case, but I did the Carb Cleaner test and didn't have any reaction like Scotty's video did. Should I still replace it? I'm trying to save as much as possible...

Also like last time throttle cleaning? Never LOL.

Okay. So tomorrow morning I will 2 stuffs you mentioned! (Making a note for myself)

1) Check exhaust heat shield

2) Pull out MAP sensor see if IAC kick it (I was going to clean the IAC tomorrow as anyway)

#14 ·
Not necessarily a cv joint. The noise that a cv joint makes is a click or a pop. Check wheel bearings. They could have dried up and nearing the metallic to metallic limits.

#15 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Anyone know what this part is?

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

I changed the intake manifold gasket. and this part dropped out of nowhere.

I just found out this, and the car dies during idle. So I think it's causing a massive air leak somewhere.

I've been watching tutorial videos but I can't find anything close to this.

+

I fixed the oil leak. Even after changing the valve cover gasket, it was keep leaking.
so I applied gasket maker on the wall of spark plug well, then it stopped the oil leak into the spark plug!!!

So if anyone goes through the same thing, I hope this helps.

#17 ·
As for the air leak, you may have forgotten to install the hidden vacuum line behind the intake manifold as documented here....Step14...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.