Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new user here. I just purchased a 2003 Toyota Sequoia 4wd limited with 114 k miles.
My trasmission is acting funny - it shifts perfectly fine from first to second, but 3rd and 4th it seems to take longer to shift and jerks when finally shifts. It you feather the throttle it shifts smooth in all gears.

I know there have been multiple threads about it but has someone actually found the solution instead of just saying "take it to the dealer"

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Check the transmission fluid for starters. Around this mileage it will be dark if it hasn't been changed.....change it if it hasn't! It's supposed to be done at 100k. Also, check the level of the fluid.

Last but not least, if you're mechanically minded, replace the trans filter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check the transmission fluid for starters. Around this mileage it will be dark if it hasn't been changed.....change it if it hasn't! It's supposed to be done at 100k. Also, check the level of the fluid.

Last but not least, if you're mechanically minded, replace the trans filter.

Toyota's do not have transmission oil filter's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
NO!!!! they dont. Sorry. They have a pick up screen that is not servicable.
If the screen is that clogged you have bigger issue's then just a simple
fluid change

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Then explain why we stock the filter kit for it at the Toyota dealer I work for????????

And trust me, it ain't no pickup screen either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I work at Toyota also. We call it a strainer. Its metal.. Also called a pick up screen. So does it need changing. I dont think so.. You can clean it though. Like I said. If it has to be cleaned. You have a much bigger issue.
Then replacing it...That would be an over kill

We do not stock these. What is the price for this filter. Do you have a part number. Maybe you have something we dont.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I'm just about to leave for the day I'll check tomorrow....runs about $50 with the gasket if I'm not mistaken....I'll double check tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will start with fluid/filter change of course but I dont think it will fix the problem. I think the solenoid is going out. I had similar issue on my other car. I wanted to see if someone had expirienced same simptoms and found out what it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just stopped moving

I have a 2003 Sequoia, and just the other day while driving on the frwy I all of a sudden lost all gears. Doing 65 to costing, I pulled over and tried all gears and there was nothing, it would just rev-up. The SUV has 215,000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts