Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I start, Thank you all for allowing me to post here.

I have(really the wife) a 2004 highlander and Have had some problems, seems all in the last week.
Do to the car breaking down and towed home, I replaced the alternator and battery because they both were bad. No codes were set. Only the battery light went on, and lost memory to the clock. Battery was dead and the alternator was not charging sufficiently.

I took the car for a it's first test ride and it started to run ruff an intersection and died. Again, not check engine lights/codes set. Managed to get it home and then had autozone check the new battery and alternator both were good. It did start running ruff at the store and I then took it home. BTW, I live practically next door to autozone.

I kinda thinking the Mass sensor. anybody have any other thoughts other than to take it somewhere and have a diagnostic done?

One other question if have is that this car has a timing chain, not a belt. When if ever does it need to be changed? right now the car has 144k miles

Thank you in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I cleaned mass/maf and when the AC conpressor turns on, it seems to really having a hard time idling for a monent and picks up a litlle more and then once the ac turns off, it seems to run better. I haven't taken it out for a drive yey, but what your advice reminded me of something an old mechanic friend(chrysler) had told me

Any Idea about the timing chain lifespan?

Thanks,
brian

·
AvConsult
3,675 Posts
I believe the 4 cyl was throttle by wire by 2004. Possible the throttle plate is sticking closed due to deposit/varnish build up. Low or stumbling idle with the A/C makes a sticking plate plausible.

I would encourage you to get a scan tool, that reads live data. Autozone might have such an scan tool. Otherwise, if you are DIY inclined, then buy a blutooth scan tool and software and see what's going on, versus shotgunning parts.

The timing chain seems good for the life of the engine; I don't recall any posts about the chain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I believe the 4 cyl was throttle by wire by 2004. Possible the throttle plate is sticking closed due to deposit/varnish build up. Low or stumbling idle with the A/C makes a sticking plate plausible.

I would encourage you to get a scan tool, that reads live data. Autozone might have such an scan tool. Otherwise, if you are DIY inclined, then buy a blutooth scan tool and software and see what's going on, versus shotgunning parts.

The timing chain seems good for the life of the engine; I don't recall any posts about the chain.
theres a tsb for a poor idle after 12v interruption and its fix is to clean the throttle body. ill see if i can find it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the response. I remove the intake hose between air cleaner box and throttle body and sprayed a rag with mass sensor cleaner and worked it down inside, around. and on the back/front of the "flapper". Put it all back together and it purred.
I'm happy, happy, happy because my wife is pleased and I get my truck back from her ( insert cheesy grin here) again, Thank you and all others your time; -Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.