Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I had some time to do some engine bay cleaning in my 2004 SE 5spd. Everything looked fine except for this which was the first I've seen. Is it a manufacture defect that I can ignore or something bigger that I should address? Looks like some kind of metal corrosion going on on the top valve cover.

It's not leaking or anything, but I was going to do the valve cover gasket soon because of age and I want to look underneath the covers. Did also the oil change and noticed the oil level dropped maybe 1QT or so in 2.5K miles, so it probably is burning oil. I expected that given the age and miles on the engine. Will monitor this time around.

Did clean it up otherwise.

The pictures made it look better then what it is lol.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey All,

I had some time to do some engine bay cleaning in my 2004 SE 5spd. Everything looked fine except for this which was the first I've seen. Is it a manufacture defect that I can ignore or something bigger that I should address? Looks like some kind of metal corrosion going on on the top valve cover.

It's not leaking or anything, but I was going to do the valve cover gasket soon because of age and I want to look underneath the covers. Did also the oil change and noticed the oil level dropped maybe 1QT or so in 2.5K miles, so it probably is burning oil. I expected that given the age and miles on the engine. Will monitor this time around.

Did clean it up otherwise.

The pictures made it look better then what it is lol.
Kinda reminded me of this thing I stumbled across (StumbleUpon) this week:

Seems unlikely that would happen underhood. Maybe something similar to Mercury but no idea what. Could have gone all the way back to the casting process (some contaminant) and has finally started to appear.

But that bay looks fantastic now.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
Probably just a flaw. I would replace it with a junkyard cover.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I got it clean but not to how I wanted to be clean. Might consider getting a good junkyard cover as that corrosion is quite odd.

Maybe when I tear it apart and clean it better....

Any recommendation for cleaning around the cranny and on painted surfaces? I used a combination of rubbing alcohol and engine greaser. Thinking simple green might be okay providing I dilute it a little.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a problem. That valve cover will last as long as the engine is in service.
Yea, I was thinking that too. Just so weird to see a cover like this.

Gonna do the valve cover gasket and take a peak on clean or dirty the inside of the valve cover is. Not sure when but we got a hurricane watch this week, so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
Lexus IS350
2,409 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

I got it clean but not to how I wanted to be clean. Might consider getting a good junkyard cover as that corrosion is quite odd.

Maybe when I tear it apart and clean it better....

Any recommendation for cleaning around the cranny and on painted surfaces? I used a combination of rubbing alcohol and engine greaser. Thinking simple green might be okay providing I dilute it a little.
You'll probably want a couple of small brushes (detailing, toothbrushes, foam, etc) to get into those crooks and nannies. Here's a good post on engine bay detailing: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50352-how-detail-your-engine-like-professional.html

As for the valve cover, I really wouldn't worry about it unless you start seeing oil accumulate there.

Reactions: Kingdom934

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.