Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was with my mom today and she was parking in a lot where she wanted to give them the valet key.

As advertised, you can't open the trunk, glove compartment, or remote rear access hatch with the valet key. However, once you are in the car, you can pop the trunk from the interior trunk release.

The owners manual advises to manually lock the trunk by turning the master (non-valet) key counter-clockwise to defeat the interior release. However, using the master key, I was only able to turn clockwise and open the trunk- No way was it turning counter-clockwise-

How do you really secure the trunk on the 2004 Avalon? Is there something defective on the lock? Or am I just missing something obvious?

Anyone able to share their experience with the trunk defeat?

·
Official Member
97 Avy XLS
92 Posts
Where is your remote trunk release on your car?

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
No...you are to actually turn the master key in the trunk slot to the opposite of what you normally do and pull out the key. This plus disableing the back rests of the back seat form opening secures the trunk (if Avalons still have fold down seats).

In the camry, if the key hold is vertical ( straight up and down)-- there is full access. If the Key hole is inthe position of horizontal, then access is limited.

So go out there and try again. Toyotas have always been this way.

·
Registered
'00 XLS, '05 XLS
372 Posts
your '04 should be like my "00 i think. there is a switch located in the glove box in the upper left hand side. this switch disables the trunk, and then you lock the glove box with the master key. now, the trunk release on the dash won't work, and the valet key won't open the glove box or trunk.

·
Official Member
97 Avy XLS
92 Posts
On my 97 XLS, it's a push button inside my glove box. If I use the master key to lock the glove box, my valet key won't work in the glove box lock or the trunk lock thus securing the trunk. I know on an XL, the trunk release is on the floor next to the fuel cover release and turning the master key in the trunk to the left disables that feature. Don't know about Gen 2 but this is how Gen 1 works

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone! Success!!

I found the pushbutton in the left hand side of the glove compartment. When I sat in the passenger seat normally, it was blocked from my line of sight when the glove door was open, but once I knew what to look for.... Also, guess I stopped reading the owners manual a page or 2 too early and got thrown off by the key process

Thanks again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts