Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2004 camry I have is a lemon, I drive it to work everyday, put 12k mile on it per year. Right after the 3 years, 36 thousand miles, The tires could not pass the virginia safety inspection. The battery went dead on the road on a hot day in the summer 2007 on little river turnpike and could not be jump started. The worst happened yesterday evening that the gas pedal had no response at all. It was tolled to the dealership and I was told that I have to spend over $700 to replace the accelaration pedal assembly. during the year I had to add coolant ... I had a 1999Honda Accord and it did have any problem before 70k miles.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
I would call Toyota corporate at 1-800-331-4331 and speak to customer service. Ask for some goodwill assistance on getting this repair covered. You might have a chance, if you are still really close to 3 years and 36,000 miles.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
824 Posts
thats because of the drive by wire crap. That really should not go bad. Bu 700 seems too much....

might just be a bad pedal sensor or the throttle plate actuator...

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
Tires wear out.

Batteries fail (average life is 4 years).

So what if you had to add coolant. Water evaporates over 3 years.

You've had one actual mechanical problem and you joined a forum to gripe about it?

I feel so sorry for you.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Tires wear out.

Batteries fail (average life is 4 years).

So what if you had to add coolant. Water evaporates over 3 years.

You've had one actual mechanical problem and you joined a forum to gripe about it?

I feel so sorry for you.
I was going to post that. It's not Toyota's fault you need new tires, and 36K miles is a decent amount of tread life. Batteries don't last forever, and you should have your coolant system flushed anyways.

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
that amount is too high, i wouldnt pay it, if they want to charge you that much it means more than half is labor, way more. Just buy the part, i bet it is a snap to put on yourself. You could even get it from a junkyard if you had to. Im guessing its Attached to or near the throttle body no doubt, you dont even have to crawl on the ground or anything.

The link is for the camry manuals, from this site (they are linked in the stickys in "General camry forum). I didnt see a part called "throttle assembly" in the exploded drawings but it is there, i'd just buy the part and you can figure it out where it goes.

In the schematic there is a device called "throttle position sensor" (left center of above image). Is that actually what they say you have to replace? No big deal, just change it out.
even if you had to replace the whole throttle body (not likely on a car with this low mileage) it wouldnt cost $700.
http://www.camrymanuals.com/manuals/02/10_Engine_Control_System.pdf
You're way off base, AGAIN. :rolleyes:

He needs an accelerator pedal assembly. It's not in the engine compartment. It's on the floor and you push on it with your right foot to bring the RPM's up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted Toyota Customer Service. They are going to pay the $400 part. I pay $250 labor. That's good enough for me. Thanks a lot to everyone for the information!! I appreciate quick responses from Toyota CS and reps at the Alexandria dealership. It is the the acceleartor pedal assembly.

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I contacted Toyota Customer Service. They are going to pay the $400 part. I pay $250 labor. That's good enough for me. Thanks a lot to everyone for the information!! I appreciate quick responses from Toyota CS and reps at the Alexandria dealership. It is the the acceleartor pedal assembly.
That was extremely nice of Toyota to do. Chalk up another one for Toyota...after all, they didn't have to cover anything at all.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you the way it did. Get the car in to your dealership as soon as possible to get this taken care of.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2004 camry I have is a lemon, I drive it to work everyday, put 12k mile on it per year. Right after the 3 years, 36 thousand miles, The tires could not pass the virginia safety inspection. The battery went dead on the road on a hot day in the summer 2007 on little river turnpike and could not be jump started. The worst happened yesterday evening that the gas pedal had no response at all. It was tolled to the dealership and I was told that I have to spend over $700 to replace the accelaration pedal assembly. during the year I had to add coolant ... I had a 1999Honda Accord and it did have any problem before 70k miles.
Had that happen to me a few years back. Don't buy a new one. Check with a junk yard, you should be able to find one for around $100-$150. Mine is still fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts