Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the low beam connector about 2 years ago and now I have to replace it again. The connector looks like it is melting. I had thought at 1st maybe something was getting on it. But now you can see that it is melted. I have another connector to replace it but I still do not know what is the cause. According to my meters the current is the same for the left and right side low beams. What I dont know is if the headlight area is sealed and what temp should it be? Or is it electrical?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
I replaced the low beam connector about 2 years ago and now I have to replace it again. The connector looks like it is melting. I had thought at 1st maybe something was getting on it. But now you can see that it is melted. I have another connector to replace it but I still do not know what is the cause. According to my meters the current is the same for the left and right side low beams. What I dont know is if the headlight area is sealed and what temp should it be? Or is it electrical?

Thanks,
Jim
take it to the dealership. they will probably replace some stuff to fix it. its most likely electrical. ur running original halogen bulbs correct?

·
Registered
574 Posts
unless its a recall, i would not let the dealer fix it. they will rape you. i think the problem is cheap plastic stuff. probably replacing it again is the cheapest. try to buy a generic connector from the autoparts. my wife's benz melted one connector and I replaced it for $7.00. this time don't crimp it, use bullet connectors so the next time its even easier to replace. look at my web site for benz pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVmEwlz4zs

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Take a magnified look at the actual copper connectors and see if they are oxidized. Any lack of contact is going to generate additional heat as the bulb draws amperage through the funnel. Most electrical parts stores including Home Depot and Lowes will have a conductive grease you can add which will prevent oxidation and enhance conductivity. If the melting is occurring closer to the wires, look at them in the same way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

You are correct the copper connectors are oxidized, the plastic is melted around them the wires look ok. I went out and purchased some conductive grease I will put that on this weekend when I change the connector again.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shopping for Connectors

Does anyone know where I can purchase new low beam connectors? I checked with out local dealer and some auto parts stores. I would like to purchase a new one other than using used connectors.

Thanks,
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts