Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to put new axles on my Camry. The right axle was easy to remove but the left would not come out because of the lock ring. I did manage to get a tool from the parts store and it did the trick. Now it seems that the right (passenger) side sort of drags when I accelerate. Took the car to get alignment and the tech didn’t mentioned anything.

·
イリジウム
12,043 Posts
Were both axles new aftermarket or rebuilts? How’s the ATF level?

·
イリジウム
12,043 Posts
A1Cardones are rebuilts. Cardone Select are new aftermarket.

the rebuilts can be a crapshoot, but hard to think it drags as the whole thing turns together on level ground except maybe it’s the intermediate bearing.

and were the axle nuts torqued properly with the wheel off the ground? Maybe the bearing loading is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the same thing. I didn’t really torqued them to specs, so they just feel tight. I think that might be the problem. I had no help at the time so I had to tighten the nuts with the wheel on the ground. I ve been driving the car like this since October. I am going to check the torque this weekend.

·
イリジウム
12,043 Posts
You’re welcome!

Some parts stores do have 250-lb/ft torque wrench on free loaner (of questionable calibration). Axle sockets too on loaner.

the axle nut torque is important on the longevity of the bearing. if it’s been that long I’m concerned about the life of the bearings.

Well, I use Timken off rockauto just in case. Take the knuckle to a shop that dies press work (~$40).

15:00 into this video, but I’d recommend a shop does the press work. It’s for a Honda but you’d get the idea.

Chris has some good videos among others. heres another one on brakes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts