Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched everywhere couldnt find the light. Maybe the light is burnt but I dont see a spot where it says security. I check the usual spot beside the climate control, by clock and on the dash. I installed a aftermarket stereo, I hope the security light wasnt with the stock stereo.

Im also trying to program a key so wondering if I can dothat with seeing the light confirmation?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do you not have your Owner's Manual? The exact location of the security light in any Toyota is shown in the dash layout diagram for that car.

You can get it from toyota.com if you register as an owner, and there is no cost to do that (and it's worth doing anyway in case there were to be a safety recall at any point in time).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the manual and I checked the online manual it shows beside the climate control. I dont have anything there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it's not where Toyota says it should be, that's pretty difficult to explain how that circumstance came to be.

And if you've never had your attention caught by its persistent blinking when your key is not inserted and the proximity sensor for same activated, then either the light has always been malfunctioning or is, mysteriously, entirely absent.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,683 Posts
If it's not where Toyota says it should be, that's pretty difficult to explain how that circumstance came to be.

And if you've never had your attention caught by its persistent blinking when your key is not inserted and the proximity sensor for same activated, then either the light has always been malfunctioning or is, mysteriously, entirely absent.
I suppose the security light could be "entirely absent" but HIGHLY improbable guy. Several inspectors would have missed its absence not to mention vendor's employees who assembled the dash.

·
Registered
396 Posts
@Donald E George

Hence my comments that it's "pretty difficult to explain." The only two explanations I can think of:

1. It's there and has not been working in a very long time (if it's in the climate control panel I have to believe we're talking about a tiny, red LED.

2. Someone did something very weird with the climate control in this particular car, putting in an entirely different control panel.

If the car has not been modified I find it impossible to believe it's absent rather than non-functioning.

This is where several pictures, that traverse the entire dashboard, would say a thousand words.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,683 Posts
@Donald E George

Hence my comments that it's "pretty difficult to explain." The only two explanations I can think of:

1. It's there and has not been working in a very long time (if it's in the climate control panel I have to believe we're talking about a tiny, red LED.

2. Someone did something very weird with the climate control in this particular car, putting in an entirely different control panel.

If the car has not been modified I find it impossible to believe it's absent rather than non-functioning.

This is where several pictures, that traverse the entire dashboard, would say a thousand words.
Agree guy. Hard to believe that someone found a dash without that security light. Pictures PLEASE

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,838 Posts
Maybe they didn't include that little security blinking light on all trim levels. I went on Ebay and looked at a few 2004 Camrys that are listed for sale. Some of them- seems like mostly LEs- don't seem to have that light. Upper trims seem to have them.

Here is a picture of a current 2004 Camry LE listed for sale on Ebay... no security light...

Here's a picture of a 2004 Camry SE V6 listed on Ebay. The Security light is to the right of the air flow selector switch...

·
Registered
396 Posts
My supposition would be that a car that does not have the security light also does not have the Toyota security that goes with it, including the need to program keys.

Reactions: Donald E George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it is similar to first picture shown above. Yea it seems really weird toyota doesn't have security light on some trims. But if I press the alarm key on the remote, it sounds the alarm as usual. Now Im wondering what the original owner's manual looks like where they are talking about anti-theft system. I dont have the original with me so Im using the one online which shows the security light unless it was on the stock stereo system or somewhere else.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,838 Posts
So it is similar to first picture shown above. Yea it seems really weird toyota doesn't have security light on some trims. But if I press the alarm key on the remote, it sounds the alarm as usual. Now Im wondering what the original owner's manual looks like where they are talking about anti-theft system. I dont have the original with me so Im using the one online which shows the security light unless it was on the stock stereo system or somewhere else.
That's not an alarm button on your remote, it's the panic button. Having that button doesn't mean that you have a security system or alarm installed.

It looks like you just have a lower trim level that doesn't have that security light on the dash.

Keep in mind that even if the owner's manual shows a feature, that doesn't always mean that your car has that feature installed. Theres's usually a page at the beginning of the manual that says that not all features are installed in all cars.
For example, just because the manual describes how to use the sunroof doesn't mean that your particular car has a sunroof installed.

I think you just have to deal with not having a blinking security light.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think you just have to deal with not having a blinking security light.
I don't think that was the core concern, but the belief that this car had the security system with programmed keys was, and that you couldn't even attempt doing this yourself if you had no security light to watch for status during the process.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this car does not have a security system (on which we both agree) and that you can just have the appropriate key blank cut. If there's no security system, there's no key proximity sensor or any of the other stuff, either. It's a good, old-fashioned car key (and what I wouldn't give to go back to that system overall).

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,838 Posts
I don't think that was the core concern, but the belief that this car had the security system with programmed keys was, and that you couldn't even attempt doing this yourself if you had no security light to watch for status during the process.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this car does not have a security system (on which we both agree) and that you can just have the appropriate key blank cut. If there's no security system, there's no key proximity sensor or any of the other stuff, either. It's a good, old-fashioned car key (and what I wouldn't give to go back to that system overall).
Yep. I guess the easiest way to figure that out is to go and have someone cut a basic key- usually it's only a few bucks. If it starts the car, you're good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I had a transponder key off amazon but I decided to cut that anyways. After cutting it, it seemed to work with no programming and starts the car. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
258 Posts
So I had a transponder key off amazon but I decided to cut that anyways. After cutting it, it seemed to work with no programming and starts the car. Thanks for all your help.
That’s very strange as Toyota hasn’t made a non chip transponder key car since the 90s are you the original owner? If not likely the system has been removed because that is really unusual for it not to have that on mine it’s on the dash close to the hazard switch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s very strange as Toyota hasn’t made a non chip transponder key car since the 90s are you the original owner? If not likely the system has been removed because that is really unusual for it not to have that on mine it’s on the dash close to the hazard switch
I am not the original owner and I thought about that but like it said above there are few camrys out there that doesnt have the security light so not sure if it was removed.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
258 Posts
I am not the original owner and I thought about that but like it said above there are few camrys out there that doesnt have the security light so not sure if it was removed.
If it didn’t come like that I would be surprised honestly as a mechanic at the dealership I haven’t seen one without the security system unless it was 90s and back but there is a slim chance I guess

1 - 19 of 19 Posts