Toyota Nation Forum banner

2004 camry security/anti-theft light location

12K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Demoncow666 
#1 ·
I searched everywhere couldnt find the light. Maybe the light is burnt but I dont see a spot where it says security. I check the usual spot beside the climate control, by clock and on the dash. I installed a aftermarket stereo, I hope the security light wasnt with the stock stereo.

Im also trying to program a key so wondering if I can dothat with seeing the light confirmation?

#2 ·
Do you not have your Owner's Manual? The exact location of the security light in any Toyota is shown in the dash layout diagram for that car.

You can get it from toyota.com if you register as an owner, and there is no cost to do that (and it's worth doing anyway in case there were to be a safety recall at any point in time).

#6 ·
If it's not where Toyota says it should be, that's pretty difficult to explain how that circumstance came to be.

And if you've never had your attention caught by its persistent blinking when your key is not inserted and the proximity sensor for same activated, then either the light has always been malfunctioning or is, mysteriously, entirely absent.

#8 ·
@Donald E George

Hence my comments that it's "pretty difficult to explain." The only two explanations I can think of:

1. It's there and has not been working in a very long time (if it's in the climate control panel I have to believe we're talking about a tiny, red LED.

2. Someone did something very weird with the climate control in this particular car, putting in an entirely different control panel.

If the car has not been modified I find it impossible to believe it's absent rather than non-functioning.

This is where several pictures, that traverse the entire dashboard, would say a thousand words.

#10 ·
Maybe they didn't include that little security blinking light on all trim levels. I went on Ebay and looked at a few 2004 Camrys that are listed for sale. Some of them- seems like mostly LEs- don't seem to have that light. Upper trims seem to have them.

Here is a picture of a current 2004 Camry LE listed for sale on Ebay... no security light...

Here's a picture of a 2004 Camry SE V6 listed on Ebay. The Security light is to the right of the air flow selector switch...

#11 ·
My supposition would be that a car that does not have the security light also does not have the Toyota security that goes with it, including the need to program keys.

Reactions: Donald E George
#12 ·
So it is similar to first picture shown above. Yea it seems really weird toyota doesn't have security light on some trims. But if I press the alarm key on the remote, it sounds the alarm as usual. Now Im wondering what the original owner's manual looks like where they are talking about anti-theft system. I dont have the original with me so Im using the one online which shows the security light unless it was on the stock stereo system or somewhere else.

#13 ·
That's not an alarm button on your remote, it's the panic button. Having that button doesn't mean that you have a security system or alarm installed.

It looks like you just have a lower trim level that doesn't have that security light on the dash.

Keep in mind that even if the owner's manual shows a feature, that doesn't always mean that your car has that feature installed. Theres's usually a page at the beginning of the manual that says that not all features are installed in all cars.
For example, just because the manual describes how to use the sunroof doesn't mean that your particular car has a sunroof installed.

I think you just have to deal with not having a blinking security light.

#21 ·
I am having an issue with my 03 Camry LE that I believe pertains to this.
I did a substantial amount of work to the car over several months and had the battery disconnected the entire time. When I went to reconnect the battery multiple things happened. The alarms immediately went off and have continued to go off so long as the battery is connected, as well as the car is no crank no start when attempting to use the key but can be put in run and started by jumping the starter signal wire to the battery.
I'm honestly at a loss as the alarm will go off whether the key is in the ignition or not and the doors are locked or unlocked. I believe my no crank no start is due to the anti theft, but the car was not equipped with a security light and I am unable to see if it is a BCM issue or a key issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.