Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8L that has a frustrating issue. From a stone cold start, it will idle between 2-2.2k RPM, and after about 20-30 seconds of this idle speed, it will dip down to about 1,700-1,800 and repeatedly surge back to 2,2000 in an up-down, up-down fashion until the temperature gauge begins to climb.

I have been through almost every thread in the internet trying to find the solution to this problem. So far I have:

Cleaned the MAF sensor.
Cleaned the Air Filter.
Replaced the Intake Manifold Gasket (using the great write-up on here.)
Replaced the Throttle body and IAC valve gaskets.
Thoroughly cleaned the IAC sensor itself.
Replaced the Coolant Tempetature Sensor.

None of which have fixed the problem. Any input you have would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,606 Posts
Sounds like you have a TPS problem.

Unplug the TPS sensor and see if it changes the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies. It is a manual Transmission. Where is the TPS located? No, the ECU was never recalibrate to my knowledge.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,562 Posts
Throttle position sensor in on the back of your throttle body. If your idle and driveability are good once warmed up, your TPS should be fine.

Start with the recalibration at Toyota dealer. TSB EG022-07 for 2003-2004 Corolla 1ZZ-FE with manual transmission was out in April 2007... It brought my cold fast idle from excessively high (up to 2400 rpm) and violently bucking in extreme cold starts and surging like yours, to a perfect moderate steady idle.

http://www.toyotapart.com/IDLE_HUNTING_IN_SUB-FREEZING_AMBIENT_AIR_TEMPERATURES_T-EG022-07.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once the car is warmed up, the idle is still slightly high, but it comes down to normal range and consistency after 20 minutes or so of driving. Also, the idle surge doesn't require sub-freezing temperatures. The temperature gauge simply must be all the way cold. That means sitting over night, or for 2+ hours in 50 degrees, as long as the engine has had time to cool, it will surge like a mother for the first few minutes of idling.

Thanks for the tip though, nearest dealer is 40 miles away. Guess I'll have to make a trip out of it.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,562 Posts
What mileage are you at, and how long have you had it for? You've already done some good work on it, and you'll be very happy with the new calibration from just over an hour since your very first post.

Have you replaced your transmission lube? It's due at every 40,000 miles. It only takes two quarts, and is an easy drain and refill. Amsoil MTG is absolutely excellent for it including in extreme cold temps.

http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/mtg.htm

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
What was the PN or color of the intake manifold gasket? I know you replaced it but that sounds like a classic case of a bad gasket. How did you clean the IACV? On or off the throttle body?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What mileage are you at, and how long have you had it for? You've already done some good work on it, and you'll be very happy with the new calibration from just over an hour since your very first post.

Have you replaced your transmission lube? It's due at every 40,000 miles. It only takes two quarts, and is an easy drain and refill. Amsoil MTG is absolutely excellent for it including in extreme cold temps.

http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/mtg.htm
Thanks for the tips, I regularly change the fluids and use strictly Amsoil, no need to convert me. :thumbsup:

Would you mind telling me a little more about the recalibration? Is there any way I could recalibrate the ECU without taking it specifically to a Toyota dealership? Also, would you think that's something they could do in a matter of minutes, sort of a walk-in type deal if you will?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was the PN or color of the intake manifold gasket? I know you replaced it but that sounds like a classic case of a bad gasket. How did you clean the IACV? On or off the throttle body?
The gasket was orange, don't worry, I've heard the horror stories. I removed the IAC housing from the throttle body and removed the IAC valve itself from the housing and cleaned everything thoroughly with Throttle Body Cleaner/Carb Cleaner.

Weird thing is, this fixed my problem for a day, then right back to normal. IAC tests fine too. Grr.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,562 Posts
Only Toyota dealers have the updated sofware for it. They put a charger on your battery and start uploading the new calibration in your ECU with ignition on. I think it takes about 20 minutes. It was free for me as it was still on warranty back then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha. By the way, does gasket color really make that big of a difference? I went with orange because that's what was recommended, and was only a dollar or so more, but I feel like the gasket failure was caused by them wearing out quickly, not just being ineffective from the get-go.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,562 Posts
Yeah, the orange silicone gasket is much better and much more reliable for the application. It's also prettier... Original black nitrile rubber gasket does work for a little while, until it hardens, shrinks, packs and cracks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Idle hunting

2005 Corolla LE, manual, 185,000 miles
Idle hunting at below freezing temps, once caused a P0171 code. "Bad" gas mileage (only 39 mpg on a recent trip at 65 mph). (My '91 Corolla got 44 mpg on trips.)

Cleaned throttle body, air filter, and MAF sensor. New spark plugs. No change to idle hunting or mileage.

Just changed the intake manifold gasket. The old black one was extremely hard, completely compressed, broke during removal.
Installed new orange gasket from dealer. Engine purrs like a kitten now but I need some cold weather to see if idle hunting is gone. Regardless of that symptom, the gasket needed replacing! A VERY easy job and an $8 part.

Only addition to the above instructions would be to clean the mating surfaces with lacquer thinner (as recommended by the Haynes manual) and to gradually torque the fasteners, going from the inner ones to the outer, to avoid distorting the plastic manifold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was my 'Idle Air Control Valve'...

As the title says, I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8L that has a frustrating issue. From a stone cold start, it will idle between 2-2.2k RPM, and after about 20-30 seconds of this idle speed, it will dip down to about 1,700-1,800 and repeatedly surge back to 2,2000 in an up-down, up-down fashion until the temperature gauge begins to climb......
I didn't try to clean the Idle Air Control Valve (maybe I should have). I found a new one online for $50...

My 04 1ZZFE started these symtoms about a month ago.... I don't think 2000rpm at startup is okay. It took almost 10-minutes of warming up before I'd get a normal idle of around 700rpm. I don't like waiting, and I don't like jolting the tranny.... Our climate isn't as bad, we get down into the 30s and 20s just a few days in the winter. My problem even happens when in the 40's.

I tried replacing the intake gasket... helped a little, but still getting 1800+ rpm... I cleaned all the relative componants, MAF, Throttlebody(TB), PVC valve, and checked all the vaccum hoses... still no improvment. Then I found the demon... It was the 'Idle Air Control Valve', which is located on the bottom side of the Throttlebody. It's attached to the TB with three phillips head screws. When I replaced it, the change in rpm was remarkable. Now on a cold morning it's idle at start is 1100-1200 and drops quickly after a couple of minutes to 800rpm... I've included a picture of the part.
It was hard to find at a reasonable price. most of our local parts peeps didn't even have a listing... hope this helps someone... GHurtlocker

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts