Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2004 4 runner

I have it down to a 2004 4 runner or a Range Rover Discovery.
Gas guzzler and the amount of room to carry things take me away from the Rover.
My fear with the V-6 Highlander is reports of hesitation and the problems they are having fixing the problem. My sister and husband both own Highlander's and both have this problem. I do not hear of this in the 4 runner.
I am also thinking of waiting to see how the Hybrid is going to be, but it seems the dealers don't even want to talk about them or place orders. I am not sure if they will only be Highlanders or also 4 runners
Anyone here driving a 2004 4 runner yet and do they like it?

·
VIP
95 MR2
154 Posts
I currently own a 2003 Highlander V6 and love it. I had no problems at all during my 17000 miles and it rides good. Ive also driven the new 4-runner and the new model is a big improvement over the old one. V6 and V8. I personally like the V8's silky smooth motion but the v6 is also good with plenty of power but it rides more like a truck than a car so it will feel more rugged

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I'd go for the 4runner. The Highlander doesn't shake a stick at it in the offroad capabilities, if thats what you're looking for. Plus you can pull 7300 pounds. The 05 4runner gets the updated version of the 4.7 v8. 270hp and 320 ft. lb of torque. The ride is very smooth and it feels more planted to the road than the highlander. If you want to get a 4X4 and want to be able to disengage the 4wd go for the v6, you can switch it to 2wd as opposed to the v8's fulltime 4wd. To compare it to the rovers luxury features get the limited. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the 4 runner is the way to go also. I wish I can find some info on the hybrid. Every dealer I try don't want to talk about them or say it's a 9 month wait.
One dealer said they would have them in around Nov. I go there and their story changed.

·
VIP
95 MR2
154 Posts
The hybrid will be coming soon, Hopefull by spring of '05... Its amazing how much power the hybrid has over the gas engines of the highlander

·
Registered
11 Posts
edpmedic said:
I think the 4 runner is the way to go also. I wish I can find some info on the hybrid. Every dealer I try don't want to talk about them or say it's a 9 month wait.
One dealer said they would have them in around Nov. I go there and their story changed.

The Highlander Hybrid was originally scheduled for rollout in January 2005 with sales to customers in April.

I recently purchased a 2004 Highlander from my local Toyota dealership last week. I've known these guys for almost 8 years after having purchased a Rav4 from them and browsing for vehicles the past several months.

The dealership indicated that the 2005 hybrid won't be ready for release until June 2005. The Toyota engineers haven't been happy with everything on the car so have delayed the rollout.

Orders for the Highlander are backed up in the Chicagoland area by about 1 year. That's the case with the Prius, too.

You'll pay no less than MSRP which includes an additional $3,000-$4,500 premium above the regular Highlander Limited for the hybrid technology.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You know what pisses me off is they want this country to get off oil and become self sufficent. They have this suppose to be GREAT vehicle.
You can't get info on it from dealers. There is always some glitch in the ability for the thing to work so roll it back. Even though the Prius works with no problems. From what I hear at least. Now it will not be till June from Jan.
The funny thing Neil Toyota just last week calls me and says YEA they will be in around NOV. Now I am pissed and will look some place else.
I quess Nissan might get my business for a Pathfinder, X-Terra or a Murano. My friend says he gets 23mpg city and 35 highway with his. Not really my type of vehicle, but people are having no problems since the ALT. problem was fixed with them.
Maybe a Montero if I want to take a hit in Fuel Economy.
All because Toyota along with the rest of the car companies are afraid there might be a better way, than to depend on OIL and allow the OPEC Cartel run our lives.

Sorry for going off on the rant, but 2 of my friends were just Killed in Iraqi and I had one of the towers fall on me. 3 yrs ago in 2 more days, when I worked for FDNY now I am disabled and need a vehicle. Toyota was my first choice not after all this BS.

I was even thinking of a Tacoma I hate to lose my Pick-up bed. After driving a F250 extended I sit in these vehicles and feel like I am in toys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I can understand the frustration with delays.

But the one thing that makes Toyota stand out, compared to just about every other automaker, is that they produce a quality product. They're not satisfied with just putting out a product on a time frame. It has to meet their standards. That's how they keep their reputation.

My problem with the hybrids is the extra cost.

It is more expensive technology and I can appreciate that.

But in addition to the $3,000-$5,000 premium you're paying for the hybrid technology, you're also paying MSRP for the vehicle which adds a few more thousand bucks onto that price.

In the end, you have to question whether it's worth it given the fact that you'd have to drive well over 100,000 miles to even break even with the cost of the hybrid technology. It's probably double that to break even with the extra cost you're paying for retail price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In a way your right, that Toyota puts out a good vehicle and I am fustrated looking for a vehicle for the last month. Remember that a vehicle doesn't stay new for very long and people trade or rebates come down the road.
I don't know if this will happen on a Hybrid Higlander, But I know If I go in with money and they want to move a product they will talk.
If by April when my inspection sticker runs out the Hybrid is not out or I am told its going to be another year, than I will buy a vehicle. By then a 2004 will be even cheaper and a 2005 willl be about what I would spend now. So it's a win all around for me.

(In the end, you have to question whether it's worth it given the fact that you'd have to drive well over 100,000 miles to even break even with the cost of the hybrid)
Wait till gas hits $3.00 or $4.00per gal and then say that. With things going the way they are, expect it to happen and you will want a Motorcycle to get around......LOL....But in a way it isn't a joke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
edpmedic said:
Wait till gas hits $3.00 or $4.00per gal and then say that. With things going the way they are, expect it to happen and you will want a Motorcycle to get around......LOL....But in a way it isn't a joke.
Even if it hits $3, it'll still take a LOT of miles to justify MSRP + the hybrid premium.

Oil isn't going to run out by then. Most projections have the oil supply topping out, at the soonest, in 30 years. That's not to mean the supply is gone but that it's reached it's peak.

But with all the crazies willing to blow things up and wild speculators tossing the price up, who knows!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Noob!
I drive a 2001 Highlander and I love it. The problem with hesitation was attributed to a new 2004 5-speed transmission.
Same problem I found on my 2004 Sienna (same engine and transmission as 2004 Highlander). This came from a dealer.

By the way, do you think it makes sense to purchase an Extra Care Plan on a 3 year old Highlander (which is leased but I intend to buy it out and keep for at least another 4 years). These are my first Toyotas. All the best. :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
What's in the "extra care plan"?

Most often those are money makers for the dealers.

If you do decide to go with it, don't take the first dollar amount they ask for it, though. Typically, showing interest in the plan but hesitating over the dollar amount gets them to lower the price tag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, TerrierMom!

Toyota offers Extra Care Protection plan (ECP) for new and used vehicles (see their site). It covers top to bottom and bumper-to-bumper
components plus roadside assistence, trip interruption, car rentals, towing, etc. I finally purchased an ECP for extra 3 years or 160,000 km (100,000 mi) for CAD$2,200.00 (US$1,695.00) incl. tax (15%). You see, I still have 1 more year on the lease but standard warranty expires now. We can't afford to be without a car even for a day. I was looking for opinions. Thanks for your response.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts