Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refilled my gearbox oil on my 2004 MT corolla and found water mixed in (picture attached). Flushed it out and added new oil--no leaks that I can see. Flushed oil looked fine.

Transmission was rebuilt last year and my theory is that the mechanic washed it down but didn't let it dry properly before filling it up? Not really sure if there is a vent on this transmission--or where it is. The vent is the only other thing I could think of.

Any thoughts?

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! Yeah, not having any luck finding a vent or a breather even when I try a keyword search. Maybe one of the detents at the top popped off or the mechanic forgot to put them in? Gonna try to check what openings I may have on the case in the morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I had another look this morning, and the breather looked fine to me (ends crimped and the cap doesn't push up an excessive amount). I took it back to the mechanic so he can have a look and said everything looks in order, and the new fluid looks good.

He suspects condensation on the breather cap made its way into the transmission over time, longest I've left the vehicle was probably a week in an enclosed garage so I'm not too sure if that is what happened.

Will have to monitor for a couple months and see if it comes back. Might be best to insulate the cap somehow, I've seen other cars use rubber hoses for the breather usually.

·
One with the farce
3,794 Posts
I can see condensation being an issue if you left the car outside year round and didn’t drive it for 300 years, but that’s not from condensation. That’s water ingress from some other event, maybe being pressure washed or similar. Was the rebuild a complete tear-down and replace all the bearings and seals etc? I’d be inclined to do another oil change to rinse out all the contaminated residue, and refill with fresh oil again.

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,756 Posts
He suspects condensation on the breather cap made its way into the transmission over time
I find that difficult to believe unless you live in a misty swamp area, like Yoda.

That’s water ingress from some other event, maybe being pressure washed or similar. I’d be inclined to do another oil change to rinse out all the contaminated residue, and refill with fresh oil again.
Agreed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts