Toyota Nation Forum banner

2004 Sequoia - Exhaust Leak (Turns Out Cat Was Stolen)

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  2003SequoiaLasVegas 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2004 Sequoia was apparently developing an exhaust leak; an exhaust leak I never noticed. I last drove the truck less than 24 hours ago and it idled normally. When I started the truck today, I thought something exploded... The truck began to idle violently, rumbling, and vibrating like a motorcycle! I guess the mere fact this is V8, makes the noise louder.

I jumped out of the truck to see what had happened. I immediately began smelling fuel on the driver's side. After walking around the truck, it sounded as if the noise was coming from the front/middle area around the catalytic converter, but I could be wrong. I had parked on a street with busy traffic and could not safely lean down carefully to check. I will be taking it to a local shop ASAP to get it repaired.

In the meantime, here's a short video of what I encountered:

UPDATE
Turns out some scumbag stole both catalytic converters...

#5 ·
3everlasting, yup this is starting to pop up around the country. They steal the catalytic converters because they contain precious metals that scrap yards love to buy without checking where the seller obtained them. I would warn everyone to call in suspicious people walking around cars and looking underneath to call the police immediately. They know about the new rash of thefts from vehicles. If you can park your vehicle in a garage that also helps out but for the rest of us who cannot, be vigilant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.