Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 04 Sequoia and Randomly the TRAC OFF, VSC OFF, and Brake light will come on and it sounds like the abs is engaging as I push down on the brake peddle. Usually it’s just the Brake light that comes on randomly then goes away, but now all 3 and the abs engaging is happening. What could this be? Please help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Could be lots of things. You need to see if there are any codes for the abs/trac etc. Generic code reader won't do it.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,647 Posts
I dealt with the exact same problem on a 2002 Sequoia. After scanning it and testing, the issue ended up being a bad brake pressure switch on the master cylinder. The switches are the same fro. 2001-2007 models so I got from a wrecked 2006 and it worked perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If havent make sure your brake fluid is at the very top of full mark the sensor is very sensitive and you may need a new resivoir their cheep

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I had a shop tell it was the abs control module and assembly. I had it fixed with a gut wrenching $2600 with new parts. The service brake came on again 2 weeks later so I took it back and said that it was the brake booster sensor. They said the abs is working fine and that if there is no performance issue then it’s best not waste the money fixing it. And they said that the brake booster has 4 month wait list. But now. So I just said fine I’ll live with it. But 3 days later all 3 lights are back as shown in the picture. I’m at a complete lost about what else it could be

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,647 Posts
You need to scan the computer for ABS codes. To do this you need a paperclip or piece of wire at the OBD port.

Send me a PM and I can help you get the documents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I had a shop tell it was the abs control module and assembly. I had it fixed with a gut wrenching $2600 with new parts. The service brake came on again 2 weeks later so I took it back and said that it was the brake booster sensor. They said the abs is working fine and that if there is no performance issue then it’s best not waste the money fixing it. And they said that the brake booster has 4 month wait list. But now. So I just said fine I’ll live with it. But 3 days later all 3 lights are back as shown in the picture. I’m at a complete lost about what else it could be
Did you get the issue fixed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to scan the computer for ABS codes. To do this you need a paperclip or piece of wire at the OBD port.

I am having the exact same problem. It looks like it could be either the brake pressure switch you mentioned here or the brake booster discussed here https://www.tundrasolutions.com/threads/sequoia-brake-warning-light-turns-on-codes-solved.167409/ Both parts are very expensive and it looks like I need to start searching junk yard.

I will do more research and see if I can pull any abs codes. Meanwhile, I am a little worried because I can't find a very good DIY post about the switch or bb replacement. I do have the toyota service manual though. Not sure if it's enough. You think those are hard to replace?

·
Registered
22 Posts

I did more research and found https://www.tundrasolutions.com/threads/sequoia-trac-vsc-questions-issues-stories.9734/. I didn't know what I got myself into before buying this car lol

Definitely need to scan ABS code before making any conclusions. It's not either pressure sensor or brake booster. It could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I jumped pin on obd and got vsc flashing in 11, 43 and 53 and abs light flashes 47. I have a hard time finding what codes those flashes translate into.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced abs skid control ecu and yaw sensor with junkyard parts. Trac code 43 and abs code 47 keep coming back and brake light comes on randomly after I clear codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I replaced the booster on my own and the lights still keeps coming back on. Here is the picture of the codes that keep coming up. I took it back to shop where I had them replace the abs control module cause it’s under warranty. Let’s see what kind of bull crap they come up with now
1B55CA84-639C-4144-806D-56D69484E089.jpeg
1B55CA84-639C-4144-806D-56D69484E089.jpeg
26644A94-FD92-4AFE-BD60-42D0161877F0.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,647 Posts
Well I replaced the booster on my own and the lights still keeps coming back on. Here is the picture of the codes that keep coming up. I took it back to shop where I had them replace the abs control module cause it’s under warranty. Let’s see what kind of bull crap they come up with now View attachment 286164 View attachment 286165
Why did you replace the booster? Did you test or diagnose and of the sensors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The repair shop where I got the abs module replaced said it was the sensor in the booster and that to fix it the booster has to be replaced and that you can’t buy them separate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interested to know what you find out. I have the same three lights on on my 2003 Sequoia. I have replaced the master cylinder and had the brake booster rebuilt. Still have the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings, I have a 2004 Sequoia, same exact problems. Every time I get the oil changed the codes get cleared and then come back eventually. My mechanic is a Toyota guy and thinks its an exhaust sensor, but is not sure. Sometimes it takes 1000 miles to return, some time more. In doing some research I have found the recommendation to change the YAW sensor. Has anyone done that?

My Check engine light comes on too, in addition to the VSC and Trac lights. Brake light comes on, but not always. so weird.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts