Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the proceedure for changing the transmission fluid in a 2004 Sequoia? What type of fluid? torque on the pan bolts etc?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Toyota Fan
58 Posts
THe 04 should take type IV fluid, if there is no dip stick it is a world standard trans. The world standard is not designed to have fluid replacements. The best bet is to have a fluid exchange done. If it is a world standard trans do not attempt yourself, getting the fluid level correct takes factory diag equipment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THe 04 should take type IV fluid, if there is no dip stick it is a world standard trans. The world standard is not designed to have fluid replacements. The best bet is to have a fluid exchange done. If it is a world standard trans do not attempt yourself, getting the fluid level correct takes factory diag equipment.
I know that Mercedes Benz had a sealed for life transmission that they now say should have transmission fluid changes. Those tranny's also did not have a dipstick...just a dipstick tube with a sealed cap over it. The MB dealers have a special tool that has the markings on it to measure correct fluid levels. Is this what you are refering too when you say diagnostic equipment. I am going to give them a call and see what they say in the service dept.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Toyota Fan
58 Posts
With the World Standards we reccomend doing at 100k. The fluid check is done through one of the drain tubes on the tranny. The fluid has to be pumped into the trans through the pan. The fluid check has to be done at a certain operating temp that is read through the diag equipment. But check yours first, it should be a Type iv with a dip stick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the World Standards we reccomend doing at 100k. The fluid check is done through one of the drain tubes on the tranny. The fluid has to be pumped into the trans through the pan. The fluid check has to be done at a certain operating temp that is read through the diag equipment. But check yours first, it should be a Type iv with a dip stick.

I will check again if there is a dipstick. I though I recalled in my owners manual not to change the fluid. I called the service dept. They say in'03/04 they switched over to the world fluid. I asked if there isn't a dipstick tube, how do you get the fluid back in. He said there are plugs on the tranny. I guess one for draining and one for filling. Sounds similar to a differential. Once up to correct operating temp, you open the bleeder valve and drain off to correct level. There is no filter to change. just fluid and they said change it at 120Kmiles. labor rate of $83.00/hr and 1.5 hours of labor. Fluid costs $35.00. I don't know if he said 5qts at $7.00 or 7qts at $5.00. Either way total bill $160.00 plus tax.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had my tranny flushed at 50k miles and my dealer said the fluid didn't look good. i have about 75k miles on it now. i am thinking about getting it done at the 80k mile mark. do you guys think i am too paranoid or just wait until 100k or later?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My toyota is a 2003 sequoia.. My truck has the dipstick in the engine.. I have to use the Type F IV fluid and I filled it via the dipstick.. Am I in trouble here? I only filled it with 3 quarts so far too..

·
Registered
4 Posts
My toyota is a 2003 sequoia.. My truck has the dipstick in the engine.. I have to use the Type F IV fluid and I filled it via the dipstick.. Am I in trouble here? I only filled it with 3 quarts so far too..
If you do filter change you only loose about 3qts and you have to fill it from the dipstick tube so you are ok there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts