Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Potential Owner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a 2004 base model Tacoma. It's extended cab, 4 cyl. Pretty basic. The thing is, I REALLY prefer the look of the Tacomas with bigger wheels and tires (i.e., PreRunner, etc.). I am trying to decide a level of effor to achieve this look. Obviously I'll need new wheels and tires. I was thinking I'll also add some plastic fender flares. Will I need to lift? How much?

Thanks for the help.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
That is a lot of money to spend just for looks. I am not aware of any lifts for the mini Taco. You can lift the Prerunner and put a larger wheel and tire package on it, but it will cost a pretty penny. With 3 inchs you can go up to a 33. For a 3 inch lift and new rims and tires you are looking at over 2K when all is said and done. Ride quality, and fuel economy, will be affected. Honestly I am not a fan of dumping money into looks. I would put it into getting better options, like an interior upgrade or a new stereo, put your money where it counts. Remember, you have to live with it once you build it. Do you really want the harsh ride and increased road noise?

·
C-5 Mekinik
237 Posts
Do what I did, save your pennies and hold off until you can get what you want? Are you looking for 2wd or 4wd or does it even matter? Do the prerunner or the 4wd versions versions meets you looks requirement or are you looking for even bigger wheels and ride height?

·
Potential Owner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After some more thought - I'm leaning towards 02TAC's response. My thought process was that if I could get the "mini-taco" plus exterior upgrades for cheaper than I could get the Prerunner that looked how I wanted that it might be worth it (I don't know quite enough about these particular vehicles yet to know all the differences between models). After that I stumbled across one that looks pretty much how I want it for about $2,000 more. I think that's definitely going to be the route I take. I'm going after work today to try to wheel and deal on it. I might become a more frequent member of the forum soon. :)

Side note: I'm not TOO concerned about 2WD vs 4WD. I've always preferred 4WD, but i use it so incredibly rarely that I'm really trying not to make it a deal breaker. The one I'm looking at now is 2WD - if I buy it, it will be my first 2WD vehicle. I'm getting out of an Durango R/T, before that was a '92 explorer (4wd), and before that was a 1990 S-10 Blazer (4WD). The prerunner and 4wd versions meet my height & look requirements. Cooincidentally, the tires on those versions are the exact same as are on my Durango except my wheel is a 17" instead of 16".

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
If you want the higher stance and are OK with an automatic transmission, I think you'd be better served just going ahead and getting a PreRunner from that era (2001 - 2004). If you want to add 'off-road-style' accessories you're better off with the PreRunner - which is built on a 4X4 frame / suspension with 6-lug wheels (as opposed to the 2WD frame / suspension and 5-lug wheels).

·
Potential Owner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wound up buying a 2003 PreRunner last week. So far so good.

Thanks for the advice - you probably saved me from making a mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts