Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 camry 2.4L 4 wheel disc with abs, and after driving a few miles the brakes drag more and more till it pretty much stops the car. When I look at the front brakes the driver side is smoking. When I let the car sit for a few hours the brakes will release but after driving a few miles the same thing happens. I took the calipers off to check them and tried to compress the pistons on both side and they will not move unless I break loose the bleeder valve. When i took the flex hose off no fluid came out of the hard line which is weird. I changed the flex hose on the driver side put brake fluid in a bottle and submerged the line to check flow and the fluid comes out fine it just will not suck back up to the master cylinder. I also put a reman master cylinder on also and still same problem now I think it's the passenger side. I used to be a mechanic 10 years ago and this brake problem has me stumped. I don't want to keep throwing parts at it. I need some advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
what did you do before this happen? Wrong fluid can cause that issue, makes all internal braking system rubber swell once you apply the brakes. It wont retract the piston

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I did do to the car prior to this happening is about a month or so ago I did the rear brakes. I used the correct fluid dot 3. The abs sensor is bad on the drivers side and I am going to replace that today.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a similar issue to this on a '93 Sable my daughter drove. I replaced calipers thinking they were sticking. After much searching I ran across a forum where they mentioned the metal band around the rubber brake line that mounted it to the shock would rust, swell and constrict the flow.

Keep in mind the push of the pedal creates pressure to push the fluid and activate the hydraulic caliper. But there is nothing to "push" it back open. It's just the relief of pressure that allows it to release and the wheel spin freely (or as freely as a caliper allows).

I'd replace both the caliper and rubber line and see if that resolves your issue. Both are relatively inexpensive compared to other brake components.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I had a similar issue to this on a '93 Sable my daughter drove. I replaced calipers thinking they were sticking. After much searching I ran across a forum where they mentioned the metal band around the rubber brake line that mounted it to the shock would rust, swell and constrict the flow.

Keep in mind the push of the pedal creates pressure to push the fluid and activate the hydraulic caliper. But there is nothing to "push" it back open. It's just the relief of pressure that allows it to release and the wheel spin freely (or as freely as a caliper allows).

I'd replace both the caliper and rubber line and see if that resolves your issue. Both are relatively inexpensive compared to other brake components.
The deformation of the caliper piston seal as pressure is applied also retracts the piston as the seal returns to its normal cross section configuration. Probably such a slight movement that is wouldn't be visible looking for it. But it does retract the piston enough to where pads are in contact with disc but not enough to cause heating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Brad_G
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing