Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car won’t start or crank
At first it would just crank and not start now I think the battery died since I haven’t been using it the car been shop for 3 weeks mechanic says he don’t know what’s wrong I got oxygen sensor, air flow sensor replaced while in his care also not to long I got
Oil filter
Air filter
Oil pan gasket
Done to them

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like the starter if it’s as simple as that. It’s not difficult to diagnose that one. I don’t think you should replace all of those sensors mindlessly to fix a non start condition. After starter I would check the ground wires. Plus you need a good battery to even truly diagnose no start problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Plus the maintenance items don’t link to a no start condition.
It would help us frame your problem if you can better explain to us the history prior to failure, we can better help break down the problem you may be having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
If the starter is the culprit, it would be a weak whir noise.

Op, what's the voltage on the battery? It's possible the Bendix in the starter isn't engaging the flywheel to crank the alternator to produce the energy to turn the engine over.

Also need to know the voltage drop between the battery positive terminal to the alternator housing. You should be seeing -0.002 voltage on your meter.

·
Various Toyotas
5,009 Posts
Charge battery, then have it tested. Check starter by either removing it and bench testing, or by applying or checking for voltage to the power wire that connects to the starter from the ignition/relay (skinny little wire that plugs into connector at the starter) and also the main power cable from the battery. Of course you'll want to make sure battery posts and cable terminal clamps are clean.

Could be the relay, but probably not based on your description.

If you need a new starter I would get an original OE Denso starter from a junkyard or a new TYC starter (order online).

Reactions: 75aces

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
@John Anthony what is the common symptom of a weak starter? Mine does sound weaker during hot starts. I sometimes hear the whir noise as opposed to a strong crank.

I will be heading to the junkyard tomorrow and finding a used starter. If I happen to come across a corolla gts starter, which is doubtful, it would be a good one. Do you know if the 1zz starter is interchangeable with a 2zz? Will investigate.

·
Various Toyotas
5,009 Posts
1ZZ and 2ZZ should be the same starter. If you can't find a Corolla or Matrix, don't forget the Pontiac Vibe, which I assume should be the same starter. The whir noise is what mine made when it was going bad. It would still crank the engine and almost start it. It was around 282K miles when it went bad. As soon as you leave the junkard, go to the nearest parts store to have it bench tested for free.

Reactions: 75aces
1 - 8 of 8 Posts