Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter from Toyota. Frame recall in the cold climate salt states. If frame has no rot they clean it and paint it with special sauce. If it is rusted through they say they will fix it.

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
States included in letter.

CT. DE. IL. IN. KY. MA. MD. ME. MI. MN. NH. NJ. NY. OH. PA. RI. VA. VT. WI. WV.

Letter reads

Toyota has received reports that certain 2005 through 2009 model year Tacoma vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to the vehicles frame. Toyota investigated these reports and determined that the frames in some vehicles may not have corrosion-resistant protection sufficient for use in these areas.

This combined with prolonged exposure to road salts and other environmental factors, may contribute to the development of more-than-normal rust in the frame of some vehicles. This condition is unrelated to and seperate from normal surface rust which is commonly found on metallic surfaces after some years of usage and/or exposure to the environment.

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any authorized participating Toyota dealership located in the cold climate states will inspect the condition of your vehicles frame. Based on the results of Toyota's inspection, If significant rust perforation is not found. Toyota will apply CRC to key areas of your vehicles frame at no charge to you..

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must have your vehicle inspected before March 31, 2016. If the Toyota Dealership confirms that your vehicles frame has significant rust perforation the dealer will provide an appropriate remedy at no charge

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
It is about dang time! They should have to extend this to any area that uses road salt. Mine has started to rust so bad when it rains it leaves rust stains on the concrete in the garage where I park it. Haven't crawled under to check for perforations, but I know it is only a matter of time. My hope of being able to pass this truck on to my son when he is old enough to drive are fading fast...

·
Administrator
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,991 Posts
I guess after replacing a few frames they seem to have awaken. One of the gals in our NorCal group knew someone that worked at NUMMI before they closed, and he said that they used to get frame shipments in without the coatings on them to reduce rust. Can't remember if it was just oil or what, but he knew they were going to rust.

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dropped my truck off early yesterday morning. Was told it could take 3 days if it just needed paint because they remove the bed. More if they find a hole. I knew there was no hole because I am under there all the time. My frame is always washed. I scrape any flakes and paint with a rust paint every year.

Well They called me a little while ago and said all set. I drove the loaner which stunk like rotten chicken back, Pulled in and there was my truck in the lot. It has been raining hard for 2 days so I could not climb under but went to the rear wheel well and looked under. I saw a shiny black thick coat on the frame. Figured it looks good and proceeded to go into the service department.

Gave them the keys to the stink mobile and he handed me my keys and the paper. I walked to my truck. Got down on the rainy wet ground and took a look. It was all over my nice blue TRD shock boot and they did not remove my bed because I could see the top of the frame where there was no undercoat. I then touched it to find it was dripping wet and now all over my finger. Wiped it off and got into the truck.

Found a nice tag hanging from my rear view mirror that said Toyota thanks me for my patience and I should park it outside for 3 days because of the petroleum smell. Also not to wash my truck for 3 days or more.

Now , Is it ok to drive it in the pouring rain ? I would think this is worse than washing. The paperwork said they drilled 2 holes in the closed part of the frame and sprayed paraffin wax in there. The rest of the frame was hit with undercoat.

I am not looking forward to see the mess under there when the weather allows me to look.

·
Gone skiing
24 Posts
I just got mine back from having the initial frame inspection. The report states "Misc inspected frame no rust perforation found at this time, will reschedule for undercoating. It also says "Performed EOD frame inspection. Frame is not rotted at this time." That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Hey Kneebiter, can you provide a list of do's and don't after coating since you have gone through the process?

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what you mean by do's and dont's

But i will tell you this. Do not touch it when you get it back. This stuff is wet and not drying too quick. Do not park in your driveway if it is concrete or pavers because the black undercoat drips off onto the driveway. Do have a can of mineral spirits and a rag handy to clean off your mud flaps and shocks if you do not want undercoat on them.

I wiped the blue boots on my TRD shocks clean today. I also thought my flaps were wet but on closer look they were covered with undercoat as well as my factory side steps. Wiped them clean also. It has been more than 24 hours and this stuff is still dripping and wet. Maybe if it was 80 deg out it would dry quicker but we are in the 60s. And it rained all day yesterday.

If you want a show piece on the underside of your truck do not get it done. If you want it black shiny and textured with runs and blobs go for it.

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They give you a loner as well. I called my dealer where I purchased the truck and was told I needed to leave it for inspection for a day with no loaner and if it needs painting they send it out. I replied " I DONT THINK SO" I then called the dealer just down the st from me and told them I received the letter and wanted to leave it with them and wanted a loaner. He said no problem bring it and leave it in the morning and we will have a car for you. I left it. they had it over night and called me the next morning and said it was done. I got the same report as you on the frame. But I did wash scrape spots and rust X my frame every year since new.

I just got mine back from having the initial frame inspection. The report states "Misc inspected frame no rust perforation found at this time, will reschedule for undercoating. It also says "Performed EOD frame inspection. Frame is not rotted at this time." That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Hey Kneebiter, can you provide a list of do's and don't after coating since you have gone through the process?

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
Can someone post a copy of this letter I can print and take into my local dealer. I find it odd we haven't received this same letter here in Canada yet.

·
Gone skiing
24 Posts
:thanks:Those would be the do's and don't. You go above and beyond by doing the wash scrape spots and rust X you frame every year since new. I keep mine garaged and spray the hose under it now and again. Would you have had it done knowing the pitfalls before having it done? Do you think this coating will really help keep the frame from rusting through in the future?:dunno:

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
135 Posts
no letter here, as of yet

Can someone post a copy of this letter I can print and take into my local dealer. I find it odd we haven't received this same letter here in Canada yet.
haven't seen anything yet here either. probably just an American recall/letter at this time

if i get anything i will post. also from Guelph fyi.

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
:thanks:Those would be the do's and don't. You go above and beyond by doing the wash scrape spots and rust X you frame every year since new. I keep mine garaged and spray the hose under it now and again. Would you have had it done knowing the pitfalls before having it done? Do you think this coating will really help keep the frame from rusting through in the future?:dunno:
This is the stuff they use. http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNDERCOATING-Noxudol-300-black-soft-durable-rustproof-/291145366324?hash=item43c99dbb34&item=291145366324&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

If you google it you will see there is a rust remover you are supposed to use first. They did not. I think they put it on a lift, And went to town with the stuff. A big mess. If I knew this was what they were going to do I would have said inspect and thats it. I would have kept doing it the way I have been. Or purchased this stuff and the remover and spent a couple of hours under there doing it myself. By itself and sprayed over rust even if it was scraped and wire brushed it will not stop rust. Now if they put this on the frames when new it might work.

·
Administrator
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,991 Posts
I remember cars being undercoated by the manufacturer even before arriving at dealerships. I also remember it being an addon the dealerships sold for those that didn't have it. I can even remember my dad applying it on vehicles back in the early 80s working at a dealership. I wonder why they don't do it for prevention anymore knowing this is such an issue?

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I met a guy that has an 06 from NH. He undercoated it with 3m when he got it. His frame looks mint. Not a spec of rust . Just a nice dull black undercoat. I will make sure if I ever step into a new one I do this when new.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts