Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a (new to me) Avalon XLS. It has 45000 miles on it. Seems to run good. It is only showing 15-16mpg (city) shouldn't it be more like 20-22mpg? So far after buying I have changed oil, and air filter. There no codes showing. Where should I go from here?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It's rated for 19 city & 28 highway.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21597.shtml

11 year old car with 45k miles shows the Avalon was barely used in short distances. It might have some good carbon build up inside the cylinders affecting the performance of the car. I would use a fuel additive to help clean up the carbon build up and run it on the highways once and a while. Also, make sure you have the right amount of air in the tires.

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,611 Posts
I am running a (new to me) Avalon XLS. It has 45000 miles on it. Seems to run good. It is only showing 15-16mpg
My '06 Avalon - 212K miles - has an mpg reading that's all over the place. If I fill up; then begin a long highway drive, the dash mpg gauge will get up to 30-34 mpg. A couple of days later, after shorter trips, the mpg readout is WAY below that.

Best to use to old method to verify your actual mpg. Fill up - reset one of the trip meters - drive 'til it's close to empty - refill - divide miles driven as indicated by value on trip meter by gallons added during refueling.

Plugs changed at 162K, clean fluid/filters, no CEL or pending codes; tires properly inflated. The car runs very good. One of these days I may buy a scanner and look at fuel trims.

·
Registered
'12 Avalon XLS
12 Posts
Agree with Mike.
Ignore the instant mileage and dash calculated mileage.
"Best to use to old method to verify your actual mpg. Fill up - reset one of the trip meters - drive 'til it's close to empty - refill - divide miles driven as indicated by value on trip meter by gallons added during refueling."

Its going to vary with car warm up time (if you live in the cold), if you live on highways like ours (290, I10, I45)...

The only other things that I would add are:
- a semi-regular fuel injector cleaner to a tank every time you change oil.
- tire pressure (keep mine at 35)

I did notice that my mileage was going down, but my threw a CEL code for the crank shaft position sensor.
Replaced that, at the pep to the motor and mileage came back to life.

Mine is a '12 with 80K

·
Registered
111 Posts
You are actually wrong about that. Techtroline is a miracle chemical. Its in all the Chevron Gas out west. This is tier 1 gas.

In 2004 manufactures and gas makers decided on a tier 1 gas rating. Shell BP are a couple who meet the spec. The techron/ techtroline additive at the parts store is not snake oil. This is the additive that will ACTUALLY CLEAN OUT YOUR ENGINE! We have seen the results taking apart motorcycle engines.

GM says this in a tech pub. If you use Tier 1 gas you will not have to add fuel injection cleaner. If you dont use tier 1 gas you should treat 1 fuel tank every oil change with fuel injection cleaner. :grin: You are welcome!

But there are machines at places that do the big work in a hurry on an abused engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '06 Avalon - 212K miles - has an mpg reading that's all over the place. If I fill up; then begin a long highway drive, the dash mpg gauge will get up to 30-34 mpg. A couple of days later, after shorter trips, the mpg readout is WAY below that.

Best to use to old method to verify your actual mpg. Fill up - reset one of the trip meters - drive 'til it's close to empty - refill - divide miles driven as indicated by value on trip meter by gallons added during refueling.

Plugs changed at 162K, clean fluid/filters, no CEL or pending codes; tires properly inflated. The car runs very good. One of these days I may buy a scanner and look at fuel trims.
Mike, i can't believe you don't have a scanner after all these years of tremendous experience and DIYs with Avalon. it's a necessary tool. chinese version of techstream will serve. check it out on amazon or ebay.

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,611 Posts
Mike, i can't believe you don't have a scanner after all these years of tremendous experience and DIYs with Avalon. it's a necessary tool. chinese version of techstream will serve. check it out on amazon or ebay.
I don't know about "tremendous experience". I just maintain all of my vehicles. The pirated Chinese Techstream hasn't worked out for me so far. I may try getting to to work again later. More than likely, I will invest in something legit like:

https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpress/

I do have a code reader and it's served its purpose this far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am running a (new to me) Avalon XLS. It has 45000 miles on it. Seems to run good. It is only showing 15-16mpg (city) shouldn't it be more like 20-22mpg? So far after buying I have changed oil, and air filter. There no codes showing. Where should I go from here?
Hey Dosvader... did you figure out what was causing the poor mileage? I have a 2006 with 52k miles on it and getting the same mileage like you 15-16 at best rural/local driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.