Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just bought a 2005 Avalon XL last month and I've been looking for the oil filter. Does anyone know where it is and what type of filter it is? I read on some other forums it the type where you just change the filter element and not the housing. I'm looking to change the oil and filter with Amsoil synthetic oil and their new Ea series filter.

Thanks very much in advance.:)

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,368 Posts
I don't think aftermarket oil filters are available yet for the '05 and '06 Avalon. A local dealer charges $5.60 for the "official Toyota" one, so I buy them there. There are at least 2 dealers who sell online/mail order at a discount (~$4 each if you order 10).

You can view/download my oil change notes at: http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,368 Posts
Same here . . . '56 Bel Air. The Toyota tech training info saya the change was made because the filter element is combustible (implying less solid waste for dealerships). Good in theory, but the dealer I bought my filters from just tosses them in his dumpster along with the conventional spin-on filters.

The 1999-current Volvo S80 has taken this new 1950's oil filter technology to a higher level of inconvenience. The outer canister is made of a fragile plastic instead of heavy aluminum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I watched my oil get changed at the dealership since I know all the mechanics.
There is a small plastic spout that he inserted after unscrewing the small cap off the end of the filter. He then inserted this spout and it drained the oil from the filter before he unscrewed it to remove the element.

A hell of a lot cleaner than the old Chevy's. I also like the fact that I can pull the pleats apart and see the flakes of metal from oil change to oil change.

The first change looked a bit scary but the other two changes looked real good.

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,612 Posts
For the '06 Avalon, NAPA now makes an oil filter.

Part Number -> NAPA 7047

Installed one about 3000 miles back. I have no complaints. Build quality looked good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.