Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there:
just sharing the experience of dropping the transfluid pan to change filter. Car has 233K miles; reason was it started to slip.
First opened fill bolt (24mm) to make sure we can go there; then drained fluid - nothing really bad; just dark, but still good with low viscosity.
so off with the pan (i highly recommend to soak the 20 bolts from the top where they have a through-holen with some PB blaster... you will be rewarded later on when bolts come out easy...
pan was nice and clean with some metal debris on the 4 magnets, nothing unusual though. Filter also had some grey metal ... visible filter area looked good.
Cleaned everything good (gasket came off very easy in one piece! great toyota quality); had measured the drained fluid about 4.5 qts. installed new filter and clean pan; took it easy on the 20 bolts (had cleaned their threads with wire brush);... filled 5 qts. Got car off the ramps, ran engine after going through all gears in idle for warm=up (about 110F); then opened the overflow plug (the one with 5mm Allen), a little stream came out but stopped within less than 1 minute; closed it - test drive - AOK .. so far so good.
Checking for leaks tomorrow just to be sure. All in all I really like this 4runner.... even though it rusts up quite a bit down there. Would buy one again.
Officially we are going for 300K now...Have fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any update on this. OP?? Im going to have to fill my transmission with fluid. might as well go ahead and change the filter too. hows your transmission so far??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were a very few moments where the kids seemed to hear some noise.. but it was nothing. So, overall still good at just passed 240K (they are taking the corolla for the long trips to save money ...)
However, we are planning to do a drain&fill here soon once it is warmer out in april or so (no garage).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear that. Good for you. I heard that in order to get all the fluid changed out, you gotta drain and fill 3x at least right? To get everything out of the torque converter. That makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts