Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm a first time Camry owner that has massive (maybe a little crazy) plans for his baby. I own an O5 LE and I plan on swapping the rear drums for disc from an xle or es330. I've done quite a bit of research of my own (Toyota's parts Department was useless) and I've discovered that the rear Hub and bearing assy. Is the same across all models (solara, es, Avalon, and Camry). To my knowledge, as long as I have the appropriate hardware (I.e. dust shield/bracket, calipers, rotors, e brake hardware) I should be able to switch over with minimal problems. I just wanted to know from someone more knowledgeable about these cars than I, if my plan is even feasible. Trying to find any info about my idea has been beyond difficult so ANY knowledge on this topic would be greatly appreciated. If this topic has come up already, feel free to point me in the correct direction. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your info is encouraging. I got some info from my local advance auto parts rep that I may be able to get by with the stock master cylinder. If not, I'm sure there is plenty of room in my engine bay for the V6s MC to fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would seem to be a good idea and one that I have thoroughly explored. The swap on the civic (Integra, prelude, del sol) is way different because you have to swap in the control arms from the disc equipped vehicle. From my research, it should be (key phrase "should be") way easier on our Camrys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just do a lot of part number comparisons between the two and if I remember correctly there MIIGHT be a difference between 4-wheel-disc and rear drums but I could also be thinking of ABS and non-ABS.
Btw, thank you for your help. It feels good to know there are other car guys out there with imaginations as wild as mine lol. This isn't a swap I've heard of anyone else doing. I would be happy to post a DIY guide once I amass the funds (an the balls) to do this setup. Right now, I've calculated a total of roughly $450-$500 in new parts. I haven't gone to my local junk yard yet, but a trip is in my future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard to say if it is possible but those are the components I would consider.
I'm not gonna give up just yet tho. I have a feeling it's possible but I won't say it with confidence until I'm 110% sure it can be done. I'm at about 75% sure right now. I can improve my confidence with more research.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
12,038 Posts
I'm not gonna give up just yet tho. I have a feeling it's possible but I won't say it with confidence until I'm 110% sure it can be done. I'm at about 75% sure right now. I can improve my confidence with more research.
Research is everything, do that before doing anything. You got this!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with drum brakes. Clean, service and adjust and your good to go. The only thing wrong with drum brake's is...heat. If your planning to put your Camry into competitive racing then rear disks are a must.

Master, proportion valve, metering valve, knuckles, backing plates, flex lines, hubs, bearings, caliper, pads, rotors.

That's a lot of work/money, just sayin'

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely nothing wrong with drum brakes. Clean, service and adjust and your good to go. The only thing wrong with drum brake's is...heat. If your planning to put your Camry into competitive racing then rear disks are a must.

Master, proportion valve, metering valve, knuckles, backing plates, flex lines, hubs, bearings, caliper, pads, rotors.

That's a lot of work/money, just sayin'
You're literally giving me the same answer I already know. If you read any of my comments you would know I'm no novice. I'm 36 bro and this isn't my first rodeo. Drum brakes are serviceable, but I want what I want. I do plan on occasionally tracking my car (I live in the Chicagoland area and we have a track out in Joliet) and I have coilovers, a strut brace, stage 2 ACT clutch (yes, my Camry is a 5-speed manual) and MANY more mods planned for my baby. I already have an injen cold air intake and drilled and slotted front rotors. As it pertains to my project, changing the MC is still a toss up. I have to replace my rear wheel bearings anyway and they are the EXACT same part meaning that they will bolt on directly with no suspension changes. You have to replace the dust shield/ caliper bracket and the associated e-brake hardware. Flexible brake lines are inexpensive depending on where you're getting them from. "Knuckles" as in steering knuckles, aren't an issue lol. I have a list containing most of the parts you mentioned and I'm at a cool 450-500 for NEW parts. Most of the parts I need can be sourced from my local junk yard. The only part I haven't considered was the proportioning valve. Be helpful and encouraging because it's obvious I know how "difficult" my idea will be. Your input is greatly appreciated but don't try to talk me out of my plan. I've had plenty a friends try that approach to no avail. You can't fix crazy lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Btw I've only owned the car for a little over a month and I've put almost every free penny I have had into my car ( almost $1500 in parts and tools). I switched to full synthetic oil (castrol 5w-30 for the motor, valvoline 75w90 for the trans) new denso plugs, new felpro valve cover gasket, new stant thermostat and upper and lower radiator hoses(and a radiator flush ), led lighting all around (interior lighting as well), diode dynamics led compatible flasher.module, new slave cylinder, new clutch accumulator, new Panasonic single din head unit, new shift knob, new center console bezel, and countless new tools(so I don't have to keep borrowing tools from my dad/uncles). I'm in deep and it's only gonna get worse. I'm learning to accept that this is my life now lmao.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Let me know how it goes because Ive considered it myself. (05 camry auto)

I also have a local pull a part that always has a few camrys in that i could pull those parts from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me know how it goes because Ive considered it myself. (05 camry auto)

I also have a local pull a part that always has a few camrys in that i could pull those parts from.
Definitely. I have a few people that are interested in finding out how my crazy idea will turn out. I'm no rich man so it may take me a few months to get to this project funded (I have a few other important repairs to resolve first). But, I'll be glad to keep updating with any new info i come across until then.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have considered the conversion as well. I dont want to discourage you but what made me not go that route is the fact that drums are considered good enough for what we use this car for and drum brakes actually last way longer than disc brakes. Unless you plan to do a lot of spirited driving, the conversion wont do much for you besides DIY points. THe only disadvantage of drum brakes is fading when you do a lot of stop/start spirited driving. They fade. You better off putting that money and energy into other things you may enjoy such as the audio or cosmetics.

I bought my daughter an 03 camry and even after bleeding, the brakes still dont feel great. You have to push them almost halfway before you feel a response. They stop very well at that point but my wifes 08 camry gives response right away. I think the rear drums have to be adjusted...or need new pads. But the benefits of conversion wont help much with your enjoyment nor resale value...on a 4 cylinder Camry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have considered the conversion as well. I dont want to discourage you but what made me not go that route is the fact that drums are considered good enough for what we use this car for and drum brakes actually last way longer than disc brakes. Unless you plan to do a lot of spirited driving, the conversion wont do much for you besides DIY points. THe only disadvantage of drum brakes is fading when you do a lot of stop/start spirited driving. They fade. You better off putting that money and energy into other things you may enjoy such as the audio or cosmetics.

I bought my daughter an 03 camry and even after bleeding, the brakes still dont feel great. You have to push them almost halfway before you feel a response. They stop very well at that point but my wifes 08 camry gives response right away. I think the rear drums have to be adjusted...or need new pads. But the benefits of conversion wont help much with your enjoyment nor resale value...on a 4 cylinder Camry.
Thank you so much for the info but as stated in an earlier post, I do plan on tracking the car once she's "up to snuff." Some people like to do things differently. That's how trends are started. I won't be the first to think of doing something a little different to a Camry, but I definitely won't be the last to actually do it if I'm able to be successful with my project. Btw, I don't EVER plan on selling my car. She'll meet the scrap heap first with a million miles on the odo if I have my way lol.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
12,038 Posts
I go for the "convince us method" because more than plenty of people have come here asking if they can turbo, supercharge, NOS, engine swap. I will always ask them, "Do you have money, resources, contacts, skills, and time to do it? If you do, you can do anything you want. If not, don't waste your time". Most people will just ignore me or tell me to screw off but I do mean it. Don't make a decision you can't turn back from.

I want to see it happen but honestly I doubt most people's ability to do what they want and because I believe that the people who want to do what they want to do do not need to ask a forum for help because they have the money, resources, contacts, skills, and time to do it. You can do anything to your vehicle provided you have the means to do them in addition to knowing that you will be one of the few people doing what you want so you will have very little help.

From your first post, I could understand that you at least did research and seem to know what you are doing. That is good. (y) A lot of what you will be doing will be self-taught but if you can do it, I'd like to see it as others may like to see it too.\

You are either self-taught or you learn from others but given that this is Toyota, a lot of "fun" stuff will be self-taught in comparison to Honda's, Acura's, Volkswagen, BMW, etc.

My way of describing the Toyota Community is that the community is focused on DIY repairs and you could almost say performance upgrades are frowned upon but that is because there is little performance upgrades to do and not many people know about them or are willing to do them. I've found little information on performance upgrades but I (sorta) did my research and found some info and I posted what I did to let others know what is out there for them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I go for the "convince us method" because more than plenty of people have come here asking if they can turbo, supercharge, NOS, engine swap. I will always ask them, "Do you have money, resources, contacts, skills, and time to do it? If you do, you can do anything you want. If not, don't waste your time". Most people will just ignore me or tell me to screw off but I do mean it. Don't make a decision you can't turn back from.

I want to see it happen but honestly I doubt most people's ability to do what they want and because I believe that the people who want to do what they want to do do not need to ask a forum for help because they have the money, resources, contacts, skills, and time to do it. You can do anything to your vehicle provided you have the means to do them in addition to knowing that you will be one of the few people doing what you want so you will have very little help.

From your first post, I could understand that you at least did research and seem to know what you are doing. That is good. (y) A lot of what you will be doing will be self-taught but if you can do it, I'd like to see it as others may like to see it too.
Sometimes people probe for information on forums to gauge the waters, to see what the general knowledge is surrounding a particular topic of interest. This is the reason for asking my question here. I wanted to see if my knowledge of the topic at hand was even remotely correct and I haven't been getting very far speaking with people irl. So, here I am trying to contribute to a site that has helped answer more than a few of my questions w/o posting. I thought that posting the question directly would lead to more info ( I was partly correct thanx btw). I have never done a drum to disc swap on ANY car so any information is greatly appreciated. I do have plenty of general knowledge (how to change brake pads, swap brake lines and and parts abs included, most basic engine/suspension repairs and some knowledge/experience with more difficult repairs) so I feel more than confident that if my research is thorough and I gather as much extraneous knowledge as I can, I will be able to accomplish my task. Funding is a real issue but I do have a plan on how and when I will be able to get the parts I need within my budget. I have yet to compile a physical list of parts, but I would be glad to list that here (as well as in my own personal notes) by the end of this week. Thank you for your sincere input.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts