Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to do a valve cover gasket replacement and surprised to find one of the holes for plug coil damaged. Oil leaked to plug as well. Wondering if I need to replace the cover or is there a repair. Looking at a pic of a new cover the inner ring is present. Picture attached. Appreciate any feedback

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
12,899 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Avalon, 2002 (2), 2003 (2) Camry
441 Posts
Personally I'm not sure I'd be terribly concerned about it. I presume someone got a bit rammy taking an old seal off at some point?

If I had time to wait for it to arrive, I'd see if I could pick up a cheap cover just so you know it's right. But I doubt you'd see any issue re-using that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does this fit yours?
$55 bucks seems reasonable or get a used OEM one via car-part.com or ebay for around $60-$65.
Thanks for the info...Amazon does it again

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
12,899 Posts
Wonder what the quality and fit of the one offered by Amazon is, I'm not usually inclined to even mention Amazon or Ebay unless someone is really jammed up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've seen something similar to this happen on a Honda Odyssey. Check the ignition coil boot where it seals into the valve cover for any cracks or tears. Came to the conclusion that the ignition coil was arcing through the cracked boot, through the valve cover to the steel camshafts/rocker arms.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My family has owned Toyota's since 1975 and I have never seen that. Not only is some material missing but it looks like the inside is corroded. Since it is a magnesium casting it is not normal to see that much corrosion. Odd. Since that seals the outside world from the head and vice versa I would not trust the seal to seal that with that much metal missing. I would definitely replace it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts