Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I am trying to figure out the part number for the "tail light" bulb for a 2005 Camry. It is the light pictured below with a ? in the picture. I have already replaced the larger 3057 brake light with no problem. Thank you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have your owner's manual? If not, you can download it at no cost from Toyota's website. All of the bulb numbers are listed in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, it does not list the bulb number for the tail light. It has a dash - on the part number and only a note with the text "Wedge based bulb". I could not find it anywhere and that is the reason I came to toyotanation forum for help. I will keep trying on here, maybe someone that has a camry can help me out. Thank you anyways for the suggestion.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,518 Posts
This link should help you, what I have done in the past is go to an auto parts store , pull the bulb (should replace in pairs) ask a sales person and have them match your bulb to what he has. Here is the link for your year camry and all bulb sizes.

Hope this helps,
Glenn

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, it looks for all the world like a 194 (3.4W - also used for license plate lighting), though it could be a 168 (4.8W). The only real difference between the wedge base bulbs is what their wattage, hence, brightness, is.

I'd advise taking out the one that still works, as you can see the filament layout clearly that way, then match it to the appropriate wedge base bulb at your local Wal-Mart or AutoZone or similar. The bigger & longer the filament, the higher the wattage (and that's not going to be very high in any case). There are also LED equivalents of wedge base bulbs as well, and no matter how bright you go they have less draw than the original incandescents do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It appears it might be a 2825 (5W) based on the webpage given by @glenn14.

I've been replacing most of the incandescent bulbs in my cars with LED equivalents, generally slightly brighter, since they have a virtually eternal service life.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,965 Posts
Pull the bulb out there is most likely a number printed on it somewhere.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,965 Posts
Just go to an Auto parts store, show them the bulb, show/tell them where it goes. You could already have been done with this instead of wasting 3 days. Quit over complicating things.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know if the tail light bulb is also known as a "Rear Sidemarker Light Bulb". I am guessing it is the same.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,965 Posts
So now you’ve wasted 4 days on a bulb that you could have walked into any parts store and got in 10 minutes. Well played. It could well be the same bulb as the sidemarker but the sidemarker and tail light are 2 different locations. Quit making this so damn complicated go to a parts store!!!

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,013 Posts
OP -

Some of the responses are a bit testy, when there is no call for that to be the case. The point at least one member is trying to make is the big chain parts stores, like AutoZone or NAPA, typically can get you a replacement bulb almost instantly by just looking at the blown bulb. From there you can ask for their part number as a minimum and go with that. Items like a bulb - you don't really need Toyota's OEM part number, just the bulb type so you can replace it. And I have shared your frustration in trying to get a bulb type sometimes. My best option has been AutoZone - they tend to not only know it but have it in stock. I buy little from them, but that is one item that is a pretty standard go-to (bulbs).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some of the responses are a bit testy, when there is no call for that to be the case.
I disagree. Your recommendation was made all the way back at post #4, and several times since, without any indication that the OP has bothered to make any effort to take this simple step. That is justifiably irksome to those who have repeatedly offered this advice, myself among those.

When you have been given good advice, and repeatedly refuse to act on it, asking the same question again and again, irritation from assistants should be the expected reaction. Those assistants are not exhibiting "uncalled for" behavior in any way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you for your answer. The 2825 is the correct bulb. It is a 5W bulb. It is refered to as a "Tail Light Bulb" or a "Rear Sidemarker Light Bulb".

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,533 Posts
I have the 04 Camry V6. I would expect the 05 Camry uses the same bulbs as the 04. The 04 also uses the 3057 Stop/Tail Light big A mentioned above. The Owner's Manual for my 04 lists the Tail and Rear Side Marker bulb as a #194, 3.8 watt.(Page 302).Walmart and any parts house should carry this bulb.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 194 is also what's used for the license plate lighting (two of them) on the '04 Solara.

But it really won't matter, in the given application and with the space available, if one were to use the 5W 2825 bulbs instead, as there's not much heat at all associated with them and plenty of space to dissipate it in.

As I've said before, these days I replace these (and most other) bulbs with their LED equivalents, as you generally get brighter light and semi-perpetual service life. This isn't so critical for lamps that are easy to replace, like the ones being discussed here, but if you ever have to dig into the dash to replace lamps LED is the only way to go, and change 'em all out while you're in there. You'll thank yourself later because you won't ever have do to that digging again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts