Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks for having me. In April I bought this one owner FL Corolla, (salt air damage, but strangely, no paint fading from the sun) which then had less than 15,000 miles on it.

A manual shift, with roll up windows, power locks, ac, and cruise control.

I have been reading and learning a lot here.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,356 Posts
Hi and thanks for having me. In April I bought this one owner FL Corolla, (salt air damage, but strangely, no paint fading from the sun) which then had less than 15,000 miles on it.

Welcome to TN!

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S with 243k miles
78 Posts

15k miles! Woah! Amazing purchase. It was probably kept in a garage and owned by an old person?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It was sadly owed by an older gentleman that passed away.

I think it must have been under a cover of some sort with open sides at an apartment complex to get the salt damage. Just a guess though.

I have put S 15in. aluminum factory wheels and 195 tires on it. It is a little more stable, as those 185s were down right spooky in a cross wind. Considering another rear sway bar and strut bar.

Oh well, getting too much money in this thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Doesn’t look like too much of a job, if the nuts come loose of course. I already PB Blasted them, just in case. Looks like taking the rear wheels off, will give some room for a pipe on a pry bar.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The rear sway is torqued up to 150ft lbs. Ganna want extra leverage for sure. I did mine with a 18” breaker. Would help if you have more than that. You in SoCal? I got a Strut bar I’d sell if you are local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Esso. No, I am in MI. I have a 5’ pipe if need be!

Not going to purchase a strut bar till after I change the rear sway bar. And, not going to do that right away. Coming from a G20, it seems to handle poorly, but maybe expecting to much. It tracks straight, so that is the most important thing to me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Right out of the box these don’t handle super well. I’ve done bunch of chassis bracing, suspension, coilovers, poly bushings and I think it’s great now.

The crosswinds are no joke. The Corollas are really light to say the least. I’ve been researching for years for a crosswind fix. But according to some aero research, biggest factors that contribute is (weight, frontal area or size, and center of gravity) you can add weight to decrease the effects. I’ve had a car of 4 going across some HWY valleys with known crosswind activity and had great success with weight but at a cost of some more fuel. Frontal area is hard to modify so obviously I skipped this. Center of gravity like lowering the vehicle helps, which is why I went with lowering springs to now I have coilovers to lower the vehicle for crosswinds.

I have a lot of projects for this car but ultimately I will make a flat floor to keep the wind from getting stuck in the engine bay. Also, air vents to direct air from the front of the lower grill to shoot outside of the front wheels in hopes that the wind doesn’t swoop into the wheel wells too much. This will require to delete or relocate the washer fluid tank which I don’t use often. Still trying to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is what I fingered, a lot of it is the light weight. Not many cars are that light anymore.

Some nice stuff you are working on for aerodynamics. interesting on how it will affect mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Great car! I own a 2005 CE auto with roll down windows, manual locks. I added the factory cruise module and S wheels....been driving it for 13 years,270K miles on it and it's still getting 34 mpg average. I do maintain it regularly. Wish they still made them like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts