Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has right at 33000 miles on it. Its my wifes daily driver so the only time I drive it is on the weekends.

This weekend I noticed a roar coming from the front end at low speeds. The roar does not seem to vary with speed. Once you are at at more than 10-15 MPH the noise is drownded out.

Has anyone else had this issue. Im thinking wheel bearing....??

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
tires?

to check the bearing, jack the front of the car up and try to wiggle the wheel back and forth, up and down. if it moves, then it's likely the bearing. if it doesn't then you're good. it SHOULDN'T be a bearing on a car that new.

what kind of tires are on the vehicle? how's the tread?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires are Goodyear with at least 3/4 tread. Im almost 100% sure its not tire related.
I know the sound your refering to, thats usually from a tire with cupped tread.

Its a defanite roar. I have had bearings go bad and sound similar to this. In those cases the sound changed with turning or excelerating. This does not....

FYI... tranny in the car is NEW with just over 3000 miles on it. Replaced to do a bad synchro by dealer. It would not go in to 1st gear when cold.

·
No one particular!
'14 Avalon XLE
212 Posts
I would have to agree, sounds like tires.

My wife's 04 corolla had badyears and at low speed they would make a rumbly roaring sound only when slowing down.

The front end would push down on the crappy tires and create this most annoying sound.

Took a long time for me to determine it was the crappy tires.

My father-in-laws 05 camry does this as well when slowing down, also on crappy OEM tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts