Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
You have to have a master key (black key) to do a relearn.

Without a master key, you will not be able to add keys or reinitialize the immobilizer ECU. And without the proper security software or hack, you will not be able to "reseed" the ECU to add a new master key. A "seed" number is sort of like the base password to the ECU. Your ECU has a seed number that is linked to a master key. The master key has the passcode that allows access to the ECU for adding new keys or reinitialzing the immobilizer. A valet key (gray key) does not have that passcode. This prevents a valet or anyone with your valet key (which you normally give to those you don't trust) from using your valet key to make new keys. This is also why you should carry the valet key and give it to a valet instead of the master key. The master key also locks out the trunk on cars and glove box on vehicles with a glove box lock, that make them inaccessible with the valet key.

If you are very tech savvy, you can buy a new master key (or 2-3) and have it cut. Then you can hack the ECU and place it into programming mode:

If you are not that tech savvy, you will just need to go to the dealer. Without a master key, your only likely option is the expensive one. You will have to take it to a dealer, buy a new master key, and have it and your old key programmed. They will have to reseed the ECU (change the seed number). That can only be done by a Toyota MDT or locksmith with NASTF Vehicle Security Professional Registry registration AND a Techstream with TIS access. Since I doubt there are many of the latter, you are stuck with the dealer option. You cannot program any new key to the ECU or reinitialize the immobilizer without a master key.

If your friend doesn't find the other master key, you are stuck. If your friend gives you a valet key your car should start, however you will not be able to make a new key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finally got the other key from my friend and it stared in one crank. The problem was the key. I learned a lot throughout all this, I learned how crank/cam sensors, ignition, immobilizer, and ecu work. Thank you all for your inputs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,536 Posts
Now, you can program the other keys now that you have a master key.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here’s the update, I have a code B2799. My friend misplaced the other key which is an original toyota, The key they gave me for the car is an aftermarket key
Your problem is indeed the key. I own an identical 2005 S, and even the dealer didn't know (at first) that the S uses a chipped (transponder) key. A copied key from the hardware store will not work. The engine will crank endlessly but will not fire.

We (the dealer and I) both learned this back when I first bought the car, and negotiated a second key and remote as part of the sale. (Used car) I waited for some time in the Service Dept. as they unsuccessfully tried to get a plain key copy to work, before researching the matter and discovering that a transponder key was needed on the 2005 S.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts