Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I really enjoy my first highlander I bought, a couple of months ago. It's been summer weather, up to a couple days ago. The A/C works great! Heat..no so much! I Flushed Heater Core, I Flushed Radiator, Added New Antifreeze, Installed New Thermostat, Tighten the "infamous' Temp Knob and Still Lukewarm Heat #noheatsucks. When vehicle is warmed up,the heat feels like it's hot on low, until you increase blower, then turns colder (blower works).

I watched a lot of videos showing people with this problem, take apart the console, heater and radio, and repair the wires from Temperature knob to the main circuit board..I mean, wtf? Do I have to do all that, or could it be something else?

Appreciate the tips!

David D. :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep that is the next step, the assembly is easy to remove but need a little experience replacing the wires if needed....05, mine were broken but works so much better after fix. How is the cabin air filter?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds like you have manual AC.
Can you hear the blend door actuator when you rotate the temperature knob?
For the repair of the wires from the temp knob to the main door, Dorman makes a pretty good kit that makes it easier.
It could also be the blend door actuator itself. Some people will adjust the blend door to a reasonable position for the season and unplug it so check the blend door motor connector.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greaat! :( Haven't checked cabin filter..Is it behind glove box? Blend door I think its working... Anyway, the guy I got it from said he spent '$1k" on fixing a/c unit, said they had to get into the 'console'. So, if this was fixed already, I heard the wires maybe touching, or solder is touching middle wire, causing a blend of cold and heat.. Have you heard of this? Thanks for reply!~

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 05 cabin air filter was behind the glove box, pushing on the sides when it is open will allow it to drop down and have access to the filter. There have been so many reports of wires broken on the temp control I would check it regardless, my wires were broken where the meet the circuit board. Maybe you can see the blend door actuator and watch it work when checking the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just received a new filter and installed it, the existing filter had a lot of dirt on it, maybe 1.5 years old. I could not see the blend door motor but could hear it working as worked the knob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, There's part of my problem - broken connections. It was easy to dissemble the components. However, the soldering was rough, taking out wires, and replacing, I'm no expert at all, but, managed to solder the connections.

I put it together and now blowing cold...not hearing 'blend door' (don't know where that is). Maybe need refurbished.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Blend door actuator on passenger side of the center console.
The connection you show is exactly what the Dorman kit is intended to fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, There's part of my problem - broken connections. It was easy to dissemble the components. However, the soldering was rough, taking out wires, and replacing, I'm no expert at all, but, managed to solder the connections.

I put it together and now blowing cold...not hearing 'blend door' (don't know where that is). Maybe need refurbished.
View attachment 286421
any luck, maybe you should examine the repair closely with a magnifier possible bridged solder joints.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blend door actuator on passenger side of the center console.
The connection you show is exactly what the Dorman kit is intended to fix.
Thanks for that tip! Would I be able to see it move when changing the temp knob, when vehicle is running? I'll look at it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any luck, maybe you should examine the repair closely with a magnifier possible bridged solder joints.
Yeah, believe my 'shoddy solder' work might be touching the wires. I'm going to have to redo it with 'extreme magnification'! I tried zooming in on my iphone, looked great but was hard to coordinate, looking through the phone..Doctors do this all the time 'working from a monitor, but, takes skill, & patience"! 😅

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Update - I re-soldered the wires on control board and are not touching.. I'm back to lukwarm to cool heat. Temp knob not changing to cold to heat, can't hear blend door..maybe due to bad circuits. The vent knob works, the a/c works. fan works.

Scotty Kilmer from Youtube says
you can bypass the heat by taking off lever, leave heat on.. seen in pictures.. I could find part of what he says. See engine pic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you would think getting heat should be simple. I. is your coolant hot enough, the temp gauge should go up a little less than half way. 2. do you have enough coolant. 3. is coolant flowing through the heater sufficiently , with car fully heated turn fan on high and heat an max temp...fell the hoses one should be very hot and the other hot but somewhat cooler. if too cool then not enough flow. A infra red temp meter would be ideal for this 4. temp control door not moving or other issue with door...turn on a/c full cold the move temp control knob toward hot and observe results...if it gets warm then assume no problem with blend door.
break the problem down; coolant temp, coolant flow, air flow, air mix, it should fall into one of these categories

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you would think getting heat should be simple. I. is your coolant hot enough, the temp gauge should go up a little less than half way. 2. do you have enough coolant. 3. is coolant flowing through the heater sufficiently , with car fully heated turn fan on high and heat an max temp...fell the hoses one should be very hot and the other hot but somewhat cooler. if too cool then not enough flow. A infra red temp meter would be ideal for this 4. temp control door not moving or other issue with door...turn on a/c full cold the move temp control knob toward hot and observe results...if it gets warm then assume no problem with blend door.
break the problem down; coolant temp, coolant flow, air flow, air mix, it should fall into one of these categories
Yeah, thanks for your suggestions...I can't figure it out either! I disconnection the 'blend door' lever to force it down position, even that didn't work - blend door did not move when changing temp. The Radiator is filled - the heating core hoses are hot - a/c still works - I think either temp circuits are fried or heater is too.. Guess I'll buy a portable heater with power inverter to hook to battery! What The Freak! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I doubt your heater core is plugged, but as a last resort you could unhook the heater hoses under the hood and use a hose to reverse flush the heater core and see if anything comes out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I doubt your heater core is plugged, but as a last resort you could unhook the heater hoses under the hood and use a hose to reverse flush the heater core and see if anything comes out.
I meant on the air side of the core, being a used vehicle you don't know its history

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was just shooting you a possibility. However, you could probably take a picture of the top of the core with your phone to see if that part is clogged.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts