Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 highlander base
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2005 highlander and my wife and i are experiancing a rough shift from 2nd to 3rd gear when accellerating to around 30 miles and hour. does any body know what could be causeing this? i am a pretty good machanic and new to the toyota world. my other vehicals are GM products and one Honda civic. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
When was the last time the ATF was changed?

·
Registered
2005 highlander base
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was changed june of 2009, with filter. by the perivious owner. although he had it done at Pepboys.

·
Registered
2005 highlander base
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just read the other two post related to this and it seems to me this happens a lot. has anybody actually figured out the true cause of this? if it is a computer issue. is there a fix? or do i need to just do the fluid change out and make sure i use type 4 trans fluid?

by the way i have never heard of this typr 4 trans fluid. do you have to get it at toyota?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
NICE find

That TSB LOOK like just the ticket. But will I have to PAY my local dealer to fix soething that was messed up to begin with??:confused:

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Regarding TSBs, they are field fixes for potential problems. Not all vehicles will exhibit the condition. A custome actually has to come in with that being the complaint and the vehicle has to exhibit the symptoms. If it happens under the warranty time period, it would be covered, but if you are out of warranty, then yes you will have to pay to have it done.

Sorry, I know that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
2005 highlander base
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will have toi look at that site tonight when i get home. my work is blocking it. thanks.

can anyone explain TSB? what is it?

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
I am sorry, I thought I explained that in the post above yours.

TSB stands for Toyota Service Bulletin. As stated above, it is a known possible condition for a particular complaint. The engineers have come up with a fix for that particular situation. Not all cars will experience that particular problem, therefore, if a vehicle and customer exhibit and complain about that situation, the TSB may be the correction.

Now TSBs CAN be covered under warranty, but only if the particular condition falls under the warranty period, whatever that condition may be. If however, the vehicle is not under warranty, and you exhibit the same condition, it wil not be covered under warranty.

Again, TSBs are just known fixes for some vehicles that may exhibit a particular situations. NOT ALL TSBs are warranty, or just because there is a TSB doesn't mean that it will be covered under warranty.

I hope this explains this.

·
Registered
2005 highlander base
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so can i do this reset on my own? it sure sounds simple. i have a OBDII scaner. or is the one that is mentioned in this TSB the only one that can do it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
"This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is
in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
in-service date."

I would take it back to Toyota for this service regardless of your mileage. Reflashing ecu's is best left to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
6 years but over miles

Mine is a '04 but I have 115,000 miles. I wonder if my local dealer will be cool with this.

·
Registered
2005 highlander base
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah mine is a 05 with 118,00 miles on it. i really doubt the dealer is willing to do it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Shortlid,
I have had a lot of trouble with webNG, and I may have deleted it from there. I am at home so my files are at work. In all honesty, I hate webNG and I really prefer to send files via email with a .pdf attachment. Traildust has suggested another site and I will try to post using it.

Your dealer has access to the same TSBs as I do. I can't believe that they won't or will not pull it up for you. I go into work around 6:30am, if you shoot me an email at [email protected], I'll try and get that over to you before you go to the dealer. I am sorry that it wasn't up on the site.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Said it might not help??

They did not offer to pull up the TSB for the shifting for me. But said it would be $96 to reflash the transmission. But they did say they could not be sure that the reflash would solve the shifting issue???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I am having the same problem with a 05 highlander that I just bought for my step daughter. I'm a Chevy dude, but thought this one was a great deal and I could fix the problem but I was stumped.

·
Registered
2006 Highlander
30 Posts
I'm wondering if this TSB or one similar would be effective for my 2006 highlander. I have the same issue from 2nd to 3rd gear. Is there another TSB for that issue?

TIA. Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts